Because American Spectator editor likes scotch, weed must remain illegal

Don’t go down that route. We’ll end up stuck with just drinking tea.

I hate tea.

4 Likes

Christ, what an asshole!

1 Like

I always find these guy’s perception of weed to be more illustrative of their own failings, weaknesses and paranoias than anything else. Then there’s actual statistics that show this guy is talking out of his ass.

Alcohol is the most commonly used addictive substance in the U.S. 17.6 million people, or one in every 12 adults, suffer from alcohol abuse or dependence along with several million more who engage in risky drinking patterns that could lead to alcohol problems.
Alcohol Awareness Month 2023: Get Involved!

5.4 million users smoke marijuana almost daily (about 300 times a year)
http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/NSDUH/2k8NSDUH/tabs/Sect7peTabs1to59.htm#Tab7.1A

No one but a daily user’s consumption would classify as “abuse or dependance”, and then even many daily users would not classify. Purely mathematically, the problem is less than 1/3 as bad as alcohol and it is widely regarded that the effects of alcohol abuse are far worse for health and social outcomes of addicts.

His next argument will be that decriminalising or legalising will lead to increased levels of abuse, but then again the stats don’t support his argument:

Following decriminalization, Portugal eventually found itself with the lowest rates of marijuana usage in people over 15 in the EU: about 10%. Compare this to the 40% of people over 12 who regularly smoke pot in the U.S., a country with some of the most punitive drugs laws in the developed world. Drug use of all kinds has declined in Portugal: Lifetime use among seventh to ninth graders fell from 14.01% to 10.6%

I hope this guy drinks too much of his favourite vice and dies, I really do. I’d piss on his grave and laugh at his widow, while extremely high. You see, his vice is a toxin that is quite easy to overdose and die on. It is literally impossible to die from the physiological effects of weed, irrespective of how much you consume.

3 Likes

Is Wiley Weed cramping your style?

Commander ScotchGuard to the rescue!!!

1 Like

You know, scotch is pretty good in a chai latte.

2 Likes

From the linked article:

Likewise his insistence that there are no gradations of marijuana intoxication and that people smoke pot only to drop out, never to engage with others or to enhance edifying (or merely entertaining) activities.

In my youth I did a lot of things while stoned, and never was a time I didn’t enjoy them probably just a little bit more.

1 Like

You haven’t been paying attention!

6 Likes

Ooops, AWKWARD.

Sorry robulus, I had forgotten that your cousin was stuck down by all the marijuanas. My sincere condolences to all the robulae clan!

3 Likes

That’s just beautiful, Mark. Elegant. And brilliant, definitely brilliant!

3 Likes

My cousin’s friend. They were from another country and I never met them or heard about them again before or after their tragic passing.

Edit: It was possibly a friend of the friend. Of my cousin.

3 Likes

Math stoners are the best… and programmers, oh my!

3 Likes

Oh yeah, I think I’ve heard about that guy like, 1000 times before!

He must be famous or something?

1 Like

It’s always a great experience for me. It’s the closest to religious epiphany this salty atheist ever gets. But I’m always worried that I sound like a schizophrenic vomiting up a word-salad to everyone else around me. I probably don’t sound as crazy as I imagine. More likely I just sound like I don’t know what I’m talking about, because my actual grasp of these mathematical theories are tenuous at best, seeing as I’ve been out of school for years now.

2 Likes

How you sound would depend entirely on the listener. One of the great gifts and great curses of psychedelics is the partial or full dissolution of the ego, leaving your consciousness raw and exposed for special introspective scrutiny.

Rest assured that most people are not analysing you that deeply, they are feeling just the same as you are… possibly waiting for their chance to talk :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah man. pass the mic.

3 Likes

there exists a concoction known as ***kali’s blood *** which is red zinger with scotch and brown sugar ~
also , " tea " was once a term for the mari-jahoocie-wanna itself " Its recreational use was restricted to jazz musicians and people in show
business. “Reefer songs” became the rage of the jazz world. Marijuana
clubs, called tea pads, sprang up in every major city "
from http://www.narconon.org/drug-information/marijuana-history.html ~
and even also also please to see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_tea ~
so , good sirrah(s) i shall take your tea and say ’ thank you ( all ) ’
and , yes please , i will have that coffee , and an extra shot of espresso please ,
and , yes again , the scotch , neat , with ice water ( or sometimes seltzer with ice ) back please ,
and , yes , yes again , if he does not want his share of the great gift of the god ( s , ess ) , then i will take his share of the flower of the rope , as well , please ,
ahhh kitten !! and the pasta platter that the honourable mr tyrrell rode in on as well ~

3 Likes

Any idea in what ratio/measurements? Sounds like something I’d try. My encounter with whiskey and chai happened at a market in Japan. My ex went to the stand to buy a regular chai (something I ordinarily dislike) and I saw they were also seeing chai with a hit of whiskey. I am a strong proponent of don’t knock it if you haven’t tried it so I bought one and was pleasantly surprised.

10 Likes

It was bound to be either that or some other patronizing argument. The point isn’t that scotch is good, so weed is bad. The point is rather that I am a superior specimen and you would do well to imitate me. Classy people aren’t satisfied writing opinion peices consisting simply of “You suck” in large print, but that remains the fundamental thesis, despite his unfortunate prolixity. I seem to recall David Brooks making essentially the same elitist argument in the New York Times not long ago.

1 Like

Sounds like most of the people I’ve smoked with- Although we usually veered off into Qaballa and Robert Anton Wilson.

1 Like