Because F#CK you, metric system!

There ought to be a Topic all its own.

1 Like

Seems accurate.

images

3 Likes

There are different ones for different uses, from XXsmall to XXlarge.

Why do I know this? I went looking yesterday, because the CNN article says both

the size of a dinner plate

and

An Alexis retractor, or AWR, which can measure 17 centimeters (6 inches) in diameter, was left inside the mother’s body

To me, six inches does not a dinner plate make, and the first place I looked was to see if dinner plates are sized differently in NZ compared to the U.S. (answer: nope).

I wondered who first called it the size of a dinner plate, and found that the report by the New Zealand Health and Disability Commissioner says (without giving any other measurement, as far as I could see)

It should be noted that the retractor, a round, soft tubal instrument of transparent plastic fixed on two rings, is a large item, about the size of a dinner plate.

So then I went looking for info from the manufacturer. Here is the sales brochure which gives the various sizes of the Alexis Retractors:

However, it looks like they aren’t giving the size of the diameter of the devices, but rather the size of incision that each is suitable for. So, at this point I don’t think we know what dimension the device left in this particular patient was, and I guess we’ll have to trust that it really was the size of a dinner plate.

Do I have too much time on my hands? Eh, I’m retired, and I can do what I want :smiley:

7 Likes

They come in flocks!

Between Sept. 6 and Sept. 12, one asteroid the size of a house, three the size of a plane and one asteroid the size of a bus will make way near Earth, according to NASA’s Asteroid Watch dashboard.

6 Likes

Planes, trains, and automobiles?

Angry Steve Martin GIF

6 Likes

11 Likes

TrashCanSpeed

9 Likes

dumpster-race

12 Likes
8 Likes

Reading time: two shakes of a lamb’s tail.

10 Likes

also this:

5 Likes

Can we take extra points off for the arbitrary color order in that already-bad-for-data-vis rainbow scale?

7 Likes

Absolutely

8 Likes

red hind is a type of grouper, sometimes called a strawberry grouper. very good eating.
didn’t know that record-breaking red hind were meaured in bowling balls.
how many bowling balls make a mature goliath grouper ?

10 Likes

By weight or by volume?

(Looks like weight. RTFA)

5 Likes

25 inches long and 20 inches around. that’s an eccentric bowling ball.
dammit! gutter ball again!

5 Likes

Maybe lawn bowling, but that’s not a very big fish.

5 Likes

red hind are not typically that big. certainly not a nassau or goliath, but that is a chunky strawberry, to be sure.
this is about the usual catch for around here:

not much longer than a banana.
a bowling shoe, maybe?

7 Likes

The length of a dinner plate?

5 Likes

We’ve had a massive storm today, so I imagine quite a few wheelie bins have gone on an adventure.

6 Likes