Because F#CK you, metric system!

Surgical instruments apparently now come in dish sizes.

7 Likes

For scale, if not perspective.

5 Likes

Heck, even if it was only the size of a saucer that’s a rather large item to leave behind. It’s also why checklists are so helpful in these situations.

5 Likes

Checklist complete, sir!

Good, good… but where is the anaesthetist?

4 Likes

My understanding is that it’s kind of like an embroidery hoop holding a clear plastic barrier.

The article does say that the count was performed, but this device is supposed to be partially external and “obvious”, so it wasn’t included in the count.

This case caused them to change their procedures and they now include it in their count.

6 Likes

I’m so glad the helpful description included the word “elegant”, which prevented me from immediately assuming they were tacky.

5 Likes

I searched off of @Tamsin_Bailey’s image to find what is the source, or at least a source.

https://www.seletti.it/us/lighting/banana-lamp.html

The whole site is a remarkable harvest of the purest crop of kitsch I’ve seen in a long time.

3 Likes

there are some really cool items in there! the “Cosmic Diner” collection has some awesome plates that (to topic) include dinner plate-sized* Jupiter.
“elegant”!
[ * because 25cm is just too hard to picture

5 Likes

Weird. The title in the article is:

An asteroid almost three times as big as a king size bed is scheduled to pass Earth on Wednesday

12 Likes

This is also good:

There is an asteroid so large that a person could easily roam around it as if it was their individual home.

8 Likes

From that link:

All asteroids are the size of Vatican City, got it.

5 Likes

I’m hearing “we have no idea how big this thing is.”

4 Likes

It’s probably just the size of a large tiny house.

5 Likes

The author of that article is just fucking with us. Or they want to get a mention in BoingBoing.

At the time of this writing, it is projecting that this object is the size of a house, with a diameter of 31 meters or over 100 feet, and will whiz harmlessly by our planet on September 6th.

Meet 2021 JA5, an asteroid that the Jerusalem Post noted was equal in size to “81 bulldogs,” and which also has the diameter of roughly two-and-a-half king size beds.

On Sept. 8th, it will be joined by an airplane-sized asteroid named QC5, which is expected to pass within 2.53 million miles of Earth. In addition it will be joined on that day by a bus-sized asteroid called GE that will pass within 3.56 million miles of Earth.

CORRECTION: In a previous version of this article, the asteroid’s size was compared to king-size mattresses. It has been amended to more accurately reflect its size.

This is ridiculous. Who uses miles anymore?

4 Likes

The joker in question is named Aaron Reich. Jerusalem Post always has ridiculous comparisons in their headlines when an asteroid passes earth

8 Likes

Why is 3 million miles considered a close call?

3 Likes

I see what you mean:

“Asteroid the size of 787 matzahs set to pass over Earth on Passover.”
:laughing:

5 Likes

How many dinner-plate sized surgical implements is that?

4 Likes

Four, ceps when it’s not.

5 Likes

Puns!

3 Likes