Because F#CK you, metric system!

77dc8db837f78750a8611f9c6f577ae38741e256_1_375x500

11 Likes

I wonder why they didn’t mark it ⅙, ⅓, Âœ, etc. (of a banana)?

6 Likes

Banana x 10^-9 = 1 banano

10 Likes

People who use inches are just
 weird.

8 Likes

We were brainwashed as children. Cut us some slack.

11 Likes

Saw that @Mindysan33 posted one SNL sketch in the Fall holidays, which made me think of this one:

7 Likes

We put our street number on our bins, but those ones probably need an Airtag 
 or a restraining bolt.

12 Likes

9 Likes

7 Likes

Bollocks. How do you know it’s cold outside when the thermometer never drops below zero?

6 Likes

:woman_shrugging: The closer the thermometer is to 0, the less willing i am to go outside (see the chart above).

How do you know it’s warm out when the thermometer never goes above 50?

5 Likes

Season 9 Reaction GIF by The Office

2 Likes

There was one comparison chart I’ve seen I can’t seem to find now.

Farenheit: 0 - very cold. 100 - hot.
Celsius: 0 - cold 100 - dead
Kelvin: 0 - dead. 100 - dead.

9 Likes

Easy-peasy. Anything over ~37° C is above body temperature = too warm. Unless you’re in a sauna. In which case subzero outdoor temperatures would be ideal to cool off when you leave the sauna. Nothing like 15 minutes at 90° C, then the traditional löyly1) ritual, followed by rubbing yourself down with snow. Aaahhh

1) I find it hard to believe that there doesn’t seem to be an English word for it, just cumbersome paraphrases, but three online translators agree.

8 Likes

This.

Not only do the different brands have different number of layers, and thus sheets per roll, NO!
Toilet paper sheets do not have the same size everywhere on this planet! It is a DISGRACE!

Honestly, though, this was a bit troublesome in different parts of Africa for me. We thought that sheet size would be the same, and only number of sheets would vary. Good thing we noticed early on. We had to buy different brands to measure the size of sheets and count out number of sheets per roll. And of course we had to do this with several rolls, for statistical purposes. Chinese-made toilet paper was especially shitty: not only did the number of sheets vary between rolls, but the size of the sheets varied enough to be unusable for our purpose. We managed to find some highly available brands which were within reasonable variability, and our fieldwork could go forward.
The locals were already used enough to weird shit, so they just politely smiled when we wrapped termite mounds in toilet paper, wetting it with plant misters, counting the rolls as we rolled to calculate the surface area of the highly sculptured multi-turret cathedrals it the savanna.

I wonder if we could just do laser scanning today

5 Likes

We just call it rolling in the snow around here, I didn’t know a word for it existed! That’s wonderful. It figures that English wouldn’t have a word for it, though, as most English speakers don’t even pronounce sauna correctly (in the U.S., in my experience). Saah-na. [shudders]

2 Likes

SOW-na

1 Like

Celsius goes

0 – freezing
10 – cool
20 – about room temperature
30 – hot
40 – hotter than body temperature

People in most countries have no problems with it for weather. I guess Americans need smaller degrees because it’s hard to count by 10s instead of 50s?

5 Likes

What? No. Löyly is the bit where you douse the hot stones with water1), creating a wave ot hot steam.

1) Usually with a few drops of something that makes the steam smell nice in it.

2 Likes

You forgot Rankine!
Rankine:
0 - dead.
100 - dead.
200 - dead.
300 - dead.
400 - very very cold (hopefully you’ve got a heavy-ass parka).
500 - jacket.
600 - sauna/dead.

5 Likes