Because F#CK you, metric system!

Too bad they decided to go with a low-budget washed out video aesthetic for another 25 years

4 Likes

I think they leaned towards something NTSC-based because they felt PAL was too continental after all, impending EEC membership notwithstanding. And SECAM, being French, was RIGHT OUT, Concorde or no Concorde.

6 Likes

20 Likes

8 Likes
11 Likes

1:1.414 = 1:√2

1:0.707 = 1:(√2/2)

That’s where the 70% and 141% settings on photocopiers come from.

10 Likes

giphy-3437593025

5 Likes

PC load letter It means "put letter-format paper in the paper chute". Because one setting somewhere (computer, standard printer, printer driver, word processor, PDF viewer, in the document itself, your dad's printer back home, as yet uncollapsed quantum probability in a parallel universe, other) in the information chain doesn't say "A4" as it should do, but defaults to a value set to "letter" in a line of code left over from the 1960ies. Put there by some ignorant idiot who couldn't grasp the very concept of other systems of measurements even existing. Who was so incompetent that he° even thought that he was using "Imperial Units" when he wasn't.

And it makes me mad.

° Yes, he. The, unfairly, by and large unsung heroines of computer programming from the 1960ies were better and smarter than that.

9 Likes

Or that the metric system doesn’t use base 10 for time?

5 Likes

7 Likes

That was then.

4 Likes

That’s a cultural holdover from when all the watchmakers had six fingers.
Computer programmers curse it daily in bizarre rituals, but so far…

5 Likes

I found something at work

17 Likes

All cool things are in metric.

4 Likes
9 Likes

A similar satellite only weighing as much as an adult female rhinoceros is not expected to cause any problems.

7 Likes

Could be worse.

ETA: So who wins if a rhino and a Tesla get into a brawl :thinking:

9 Likes

The internet, obviously.

14 Likes

Not exactly the sort of fun content found here usually, but I think it fits nevertheless:

“although the company still has a couple of hoops to jump through before it’s fully ready for the U.S. market. For example; the date format, and the height and weight the app wanted from me in the setup process was all distinctly euro-flavored. Centi-whatnow? Kilo-huh? Still, those issues are easy enough to resolve as the company rolls out its products in earnest.”
Moonbird's relaxation device takes flight internationally | TechCrunch.

6 Likes

The thought of doing those conversions is stressing me out. Maybe that’s how they are driving demand for the device?

3 Likes