Because F#CK you, metric system!

7 Likes

Iā€™ve noticed that too-the thing is, golf balls, or billiard balls are solid, round and designed to flow, as it were. I want to know how many nerf footballs the thing can clear, those being much closer in texture and squish to what is most likely to actually clog your toilet.

1 Like

Plastic army men, and legos. Thatā€™s the metric I want to see.

8 Likes

Common in Ontario, too. I think the Great Continental Bagged Milk Divide is the Ontario/Manitoba border.

Not sure why itā€™s not more common. Seems like less plastic. But you do need a bag holder, but they last forever. Iā€™ve never had a bag break or otherwise fail in almost 50 years of bag-milk operations.

Maybe the Big Jug lobby is working their way east?

8 Likes

The proper units for toilet flush testing are soybean logs, at least according to these folk. Hereā€™s an example with some samples (these folks take toilet testing seriously):

https://map-testing.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/6-adding-test-media-to-bowl.jpg

While these samples can be eaten, maybe NSFW/NSFL due to the context.

I am not a plumber. I have no idea why I know this. And now you do too.

7 Likes

The milk here in the west is mostly in waxed cardboard (what they call gable-top cartons) so no plastic at all and fully recyclable. Seems like a good compromise since we gave up milkmen back in the ā€˜70s. Thereā€™s a local dairy here that does reusable glass bottles (the grocery stores take back the empties for a deposit). I hope that comes back more widely. Itā€™s silly how much of our food comes in single-use packaging.

Or north. Itā€™s the Americans who insist on plastic jugs for everything.

4 Likes

Missed opportunity. That whole page is an amazing photographic tribute to the process.

3 Likes

The water pressure 3,800 meters down at the site of the Titanic wreck is roughly 400 atmospheres (6000 PSI) ā€” about the same as having 35 elephants on your shoulders.

6 Likes

Tbf, this was done in the right order. SI unit, colonial unit, analogy.

ETA: atmospheres are not an SI unit, that would be pascal. They are defined by metric units, however

5 Likes

I cant even imagine the weight of one elephant on my shoulders.

Imagine a thing you canā€™t imagine. Then multiply it by 35.

9 Likes

One elephant weighs approximately the same as 200,000 mice, so just imagine being crushed by 7 million mice.

12 Likes

11 Likes

h/t @teknocholer
EDIT: Ack, wrong article, now corrected.

3 Likes

Apparently the peanut is the new standard for sub-banana scale comparisons.

From the article:
ā€œFuture tests, the team said, will try to improve stability by integrating micro-optical and thermal packaging that would increase the size to that of a standard CSAC (which NIST notes is around the size of a piece of sushi)ā€¦ā€

Thanks, @sqlrob for the link.

9 Likes

Is that a troy peanut, or avoirdupois?

13 Likes

Ohhh, thatā€™s a peanut! I thought it was a yam. Which would have made it a postage stamp for a very large letterā€¦ (Didnā€™t even see the ā€œ25mmā€ notation.)

Why didnā€™t they just use an actual postage stamp?

10 Likes

Pricier than a peanut?

11 Likes

I figured someone probably had a snack-pack of peanuts in their desk, but who mails letters anymore?

ETA now I realize that it would have been the science team and photographer originally using the peanut system of measurement, but then probably the reporter or headline writer took it upon themselves to convert to the postage system of measurement.

4 Likes

ā€œā€¦the size of a piece of sushiā€¦ā€

And it was lunchtime.

6 Likes

Maybe they couldnā€™t agree on which one to use - Maxwell, Kelvin, Rabi, Essen, Parryā€¦

6 Likes