Because F#CK you, metric system!

Some further expansions of an article I think hit here:

6 Likes

Why not a pinball? Unless they’re trying to insinuate that the earth is flat…

The Croods Sloth GIF by The Croods: A New Age

3 Likes

I’m sure everyone is as relieved as I am to see the typo is fixed, and Broca’s area is no longer a volume.

6 Likes

Also, Science FTW.

Relevant part:

For comparison, H. naledi’s brain was around the size of a grapefruit, and a human brain is the size of a medium cantaloupe.

Archive version: https://archive.ph/F4x4i

10 Likes

Now another one :slight_smile:

From this thread

12 Likes

“Sheep to ram” sounds like a size range.

9 Likes

Soda can?? My preferred measure for length is the pop can.

Also, sorry about your short tenure as the long-tongue champ Bisbee. You are still a good boy.

9 Likes

13 Likes

At least they’re being topical:

12 Likes

It’s going to capsize a comms satellite, isn’t it.

11 Likes

You just revealed yourself to be an east-coaster. :smile: The milk-in-bags thing never made it to the west, and weirdly I lived into my forties before learning that was a thing over there. :smile:

9 Likes

We had milk in bags in Saskatchewan when I was a kid but I don’t remember seeing it past the mid-late 80s. Since then it’s all cartons and 4L jugs.

8 Likes

Living in Ontario, I’ve never thought of myself as an east-coaster, but I suppose it’s all a matter of perspective.

To answer @Simon_Clift, milk bags are sold three in a large 4 litre outer bag, so an individual milk bag is 1.3333… litres, or the size of a guinea pig.

9 Likes

I’d seen bags of milk in both interior BC and Alberta, though a very long time ago.

6 Likes

Weird, I grew up there and never saw them, going back to the 1970s.

4 Likes

… something, something, set of all milk bags that do not contain themselves :thinking:

6 Likes
6 Likes

Almost two baseballs wide!!

Or three and a half golf balls, if you prefer.

8 Likes

I’d rather pass golf balls than baseballs!

5 Likes

For a while the big box hardware store near me advertised toilets this way. “Can flush 29 golf balls!” I used to think “marketing for people with kids, or who don’t get enough fiber.”

5 Likes