Because F#CK you, metric system!

That joke is some deep cut Canadiana right there. :joy:

10 Likes

Probably wondering whether you meant an Imperial Gallon of 4.55l or an American Gallon of 3.79l a.k.a. the old Wine Gallon.

(My old 80’s beater, which was basically an upholstered roller skate, got 52mpg in :canada:, but only 43mpg when I was in the :us:)

I challenge you to find in :canada:, at least since the FTA/NAFTA/USCAM, a real cup measure that’s 284mL instead of an :us: cup at 239mL. Never mind that :eu: cup measures seem to split the difference at 250mL. :angry:

That’s one reason Grandma’s old Empire-days recipes don’t work, eh?

6 Likes

I was lucky enough to be ~10 when we changed to metric, so I was mildly aware of the importance of mileage ratings when buying a vehicle. By the time I bought my first car, it wasn’t a problem though.

But my father often cursed the inversion from small numbers good, big numbers bad… he was a car salesman for many years.

4 Likes

Milage in the electric car is cursed - miles per kilowatt-hour.

I hate kwhs.

5 Likes

You gotta bear in mind that the US is mostly uphill.

(so I’m told)

8 Likes

Yup. Both ways. But as long as you’ve got a trunkful of bootstraps you’ll be just fine.

7 Likes

I started running years ago.

5K and 10K then 13.1 miles and 26.2 miles.

I trained for all of them with 1/2 mile splits. I can barely do math with a calculator let alone in my head as I’m running.

Some races mark the distance as kilometers and miles. Because I’m no longer fast I rarely use a watch anymore and just run. No more math.

3 Likes

I think of road speeds in miles/hour, so my bike tracker shows me miles/hour while I’m out and about.

Home computer grabs the logs that are stored internally as m/s, and finally shows me km/h and km.

In :canada: we say “miles per hour” but we really mean “kilometer per hour”, but you never refer to the distance, always to the time it takes to drive there (but if you do, you say “miles” but you mean “kilometers”).

People’s height is in feet. Gas is in liters. Milk is in bags (don’t ask me how many liters in a milk bag). Beer is in two-fours, pints at the tap. Temperature is C if you’re age < 50, F if your > 60, ages in between is a bit of a grey zone. Rain falls in millimeters but snow fall is in inches, wind: same as distance kind of, but you’re more likely to measure it by what blew over/blew off your roof. Building material is definitely in feet and inches (except a 2"x6" is not just shy the 1/4" for milling, but is now barely over 5" wide for some reason) but your building’s natgas is in cubic meters and power in kW/h.

(And our :us: cousins wonder why they can’t quite pass for :canada: around Canadians when they’re out of the states on vacation…) :roll_eyes: :laughing:

8 Likes

On that subject, how is dimensional lumber dimensioned in places where metric has been around forever? Seems a mouthful to say “50mm x 100m stud” or “122cm x 244cm plywood”.

3 Likes

My favorite estimate of size:

10 Likes
15 Likes
6 Likes

10 Likes

Three states — Arizona, California and Nevada — have agreed on a plan to conserve at least 3 million acre-feet of water by 2026 — roughly the equivalent to the amount of water it would take to fill 6 million Olympic-sized swimming pools.

9 Likes
11 Likes
8 Likes

That Randall gave a volume for Broca’s area bothers me (probably more than it should)

7 Likes

With added spurious accuracy of decimal places in the body of the article. We can’t possibly just quote temperatures in Celcius as they were in the original Instagram post.

4 Likes

I was thinking the same thing when I read that

2 Likes