Before and after photos reveal impact of Houston flooding from Harvey

Just ran across this little gem:

Texans will see flooding more than ever.

7 Likes

Too soon! You are not allowed to blame anyone until politically expedient for climate change deniers.

12 Likes
6 Likes

After the Banda Aceh tsunami in 2004, some people were telling me it was God’s judgment on those people.

I wonder if God is punishing Texas for Ted Cruz, or just being a Red State?

3 Likes

Whyn’t they just say a cube 2 miles wide and 2 miles high (or 8 cubic miles). I scored shit on my math SATs & even I know where to go to figure that out. You also get interesting vaguely Texas-related factoid comparisons like “6.6 x the volume of oil produced globally in 2012.”

2 Likes

Trump keeps tweeting statements along the lines of “experts say they’ve never seen anything like this.” It’s amazing! Unprecedented! It’s almost like the climate is… changing in some way.

10 Likes

He’s all adjectives, all the time; without any actual substance or context… no matter what he’s talking about.

4 Likes

My niece and her husband were stuck in that traffic jam for 36 hours. They ran out of gas and hadn’t even made it out of the city. The heat and humidity was brutal. Had Rita actually struck Houston, they and a whole lot of other people would have been in some very, very serious trouble.

However, not evacuating can be equally dangerous. We evacuated for Hurricane Ike, and it was a good thing we did. We had old people to take care of, and they may not have been able to withstand the flooding and lack of air conditioning in the wake of the storm.

The truth is, there are valid reasons to stay, and valid reasons to go. The best course of action depends on the precise conditions on the ground and the individual people involved.

5 Likes

Perfectly reasonable, and I agree. Hope you’re safe this time, too.

2 Likes

So far, so good. Thank you.

1 Like

I just heard Trump on the radio saying how “… there has probably never been a storm like this…” He even wants to boast about the size of “His” natural disasters. What a total tosser.

4 Likes

I recall seeing a person crying their eyes out on UK TV after their new home was flooded. The reporter asked them, “What is your house called?” and they replied, “Flood Cottage, on Flood Lane.”

5 Likes

Look, he’s working on the wall, ok? So there’s your protection. And it’s hard - damn hard - to work on putting when you’re not on a golf course.

A little respect, please.

( I’d like to note that while I can’t pass up a good/bad pun, I feel queasy dragging president bashing into this. Referencing a separate disaster while this is going on is like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters. Houston and the affected areas need help, not kibitzing, and I hope they get it )

3 Likes

Dear Sir/Madam/Other : you have just made me so happy. Thank you for this phrase.

4 Likes

On the plus side…

https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2017/08/29/25380486/flood-destroys-home-of-anti-gay-bigot-who-says-god-sends-natural-disasters-to-punish-gays

ETA: poop it is an old story from a previous hurricane/flood. still couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

4 Likes

Whaddya know, miracles do happen!

3 Likes

I lived in the county for a time, and lived through Katrina, Katrina from what i remember was Cat 3 and it wasn’t so bad, this is one more Cat and i never thought it would be this bad

1 Like

4 Likes

Water is very slowly rising up the neighborhood roads. This is crazy shit, there’s nowhere not impacted by the floods. Shelters and other base of operations in the high ground have had to be abandoned and moved to even higher ground.

Our neighbors that are staying have moved cars up to the high ground near main roads and people’s families are helping take older people and people that need help to the shelters (which are close to my house on the high ground). I am lucky to have a second story so we moved everything important up there and the water needs to rise another probably 10 feet before I need to turn the electricity off and be in full emergency mode.

3 Likes

Hang on! Almost there.

be0971828c2ef2c1ebedae7124515cf1

Is there food distribution?

1 Like