Behold, the world's first mobile bowling alley

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/05/behold-the-worlds-first-mobile-bowling-alley.html

2 Likes

I’m curious what sort of effort and equipment goes into leveling the trailer so that the lanes don’t have a significant slope in any given direction when parking is less than ideal.

4 Likes

I think it could be easy If the trailer has hydraulic stabilizers, like the ones used on cranes, adding a couple of inclinometers and a PLC will do the trick

5 Likes

4 Likes

The alley is available for parties, corporate and church gatherings, “small weddings” and other events.

Given the likely clientele, “reasonable” levelness may not be much of a concern. Short of hardcore bowlers (like me), drink-happy casual types and newbies may happily accept these mini-lanes even if they’re not altogether ‘square with the world’.

I suspect LSB would still rent these to determined clients despite that fact the best parking surface they had was seriously out of whack. There are bills to pay. :slightly_smiling_face:

You may be underestimating how little tilt it would take to make a bowling lane unusable even for drunk folks. Especially if the trailer is parked facing uphill so that, while you’re all high-fiving each other over a strike, the bowling ball returns to take out your ankles

1 Like

Really? That’s the frame you’re gonna choose?

2 Likes

So turn the trailer around so there’s even MORE strikes! Better yelp reviews that way I bet.

Oh, and get bumper-rails installed and maybe even tone it down to candlepin. I have two kiddos who would go absolutely nuts for a B-day party like this as opposed to the usual laser-tag / bouncy-house / clay-painting options.

A good mobile crane operator can clear over $100k a year; I wonder what the going rate is for operating a mobile bowling alley rig?

Automatic hydraulic leveling is a solved problem in trailers and RVs. You can buy systems off the shelf that do it for you.

3 Likes

Speaking of Impeached Former Presidents…

What would be cool would be bowling in the trailer while it’s in motion: starting, stopping, turning left or right, going up or downhill.

2 Likes

I read “clay-painting” as “clay pigeons” and thought skeet shooting would be quite the unusual usual birthday option for kids.

1 Like

Someone did this back in 1976: https://youtu.be/7rstLAwFsmk (The bowling alley is seen here).

1 Like

I don’t have enough $$ to lawyer up for that. Cool idea, though. We bought my 11 y/o a compound bow and that’s about as far as I’m going to arm her for now.

At least until her knife-wielding 8 y/o sis catches up. But that’s more for cooking.

Better?

d8ss041

2 Likes

Quite the opposite.

Jesus, what an asshole.

Skeeball, now with exhaust fumes. :confused:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.