Belgian Parliament: if we shut off free booze in Parliament, we'll have to go back to dragging lawmakers out of the bars to vote

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/26/belgian-parliament-if-we-shut.html

2 Likes

exactly my pronunciation when I’m drunk

19 Likes

well actually…
we have solved the problem ! henceforward, belgian parlementarians will have to PAY for their wine or beer in the parliament “coffee room”. that will teach 'em.

12 Likes

Well then don’t shut off the free beer. Problem solved.

Belgium has a bicameral legislature, like the US. Except it isn’t mostly old white men, and there’s more than one party. I’ve met my rep. She’s a cool lady, and she likes the same kind of beer I do. Young and very, very smart. She’s a little bit more liberal than I am, but that’s okay.

14 Likes

Would voting in bars be a solution?

9 Likes

They’d have to build one, and why bother? It’s a fairly big parliament, and bars in .be tend to be kind of small.

6 Likes

Booze does make the World go round.

1 Like

[quote=“doctorow, post:1, topic:93689”]the alternative is going back to having to drag elected officials out of the local bars when it’s time to vote[/quote]Seems to me the alternative would be to just leave them in the bars if that’s where they are when it’s time to vote. And then subsequently elect lawmakers who don’t go to bars when it’s time to vote.

No, that would be silly.

12 Likes

Uh, no, unless the problem with the “incident” is simply that said racism was revealed I’d say that the “major cause” of this particular one was “racism.” Seriously, we should get to see all of our representatives drunk at least once. It actually tells you a lot about a person.

10 Likes

which they speculated might increase the quality of debates

Greetings from America. Whatever the merits of sobriety in legislative proceedings, high-quality debate is not among them.

14 Likes

It is also their general practice to deliberate upon affairs of weight when they are drunk; and then on the morrow, when they are sober, the decision to which they came the night before is put before them by the master of the house in which it was made; and if it is then approved of, they act on it; if not, they set it aside. Sometimes, however, they are sober at their first deliberation, but in this case they always reconsider the matter under the influence of wine.

-Herodotus on the Persians

18 Likes

At least the Belgian lawmakers have a ready excuse for their behavior.

4 Likes

If you don’t have a quorum, you don’t have a legislature.

1 Like

this … depends.

all parliaments in Germany (both on state and federal level) have the 50% quorum in the rules but this is ignored all the time, by parliaments, media and general public.

I can remember only one loud and wide public out-cry: when in 2012, shortly before 9 pm, while the national soccer team was playing in some semi-final, 2 dozen (of some 600) representatives decided in less than 1 minute that a law cutting down civil rights is A-OK.

11 Likes

Over here in Austria, we at least have beer in cinemas. Which makes a lot of movies more acceptable.

5 Likes

That is quite a brilliant idea (to my simplistic layman’s mind), in vino veritas etc. Thanks also to @AlexG55 for the interesting reply.

1 Like

There are some theaters in the US that serve beer and wine. Not the corporate conglomerate megaplexes, but the old downtown theaters.

5 Likes

Never go to the cinema without one:

What, people actually drink those extra large cokes without whisky?? That’s just disgusting.

11 Likes

I’ve watched my parliament function. Maybe everyone should be required to have a glass of wine before speaking up.

3 Likes

You got a problem with rum, pal? If so, you have a problem with me!

1 Like