bell hooks, pioneering feminist poet and activist, RIP

Originally published at: bell hooks, pioneering feminist poet and activist, RIP | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Rest in Power, queen.

24 Likes

I just counted nine separate books of hers in my office.

I’m crushed. Way too soon.

:pensive: :cry: :fist: :heart:

20 Likes

bell hooks love GIF

I posted this over in the dead celebrity thread, but will post it here, too…

16 Likes

The wounded child inside many males is a boy who, when he first spoke his truths, was silenced by paternal sadism, by a patriachal world that did not want him to claim his true feelings. The wounded child inside many females is a girl who was taught from early childhood that she must become something other than herself, deny her true feelings in order to attract and please others. When men and women punish each other for truth telling, we reinforce the notion that lies are better. To be loving, we must willingly hear the other’s truth, and most important, we affirm the value of truth telling. Lies may make people feel better, but they do not help them to know love.

–bell hooks

21 Likes

“I want my work to be about healing,” she said (h/t Herald Leader). “I am a fortunate writer because every day of my life practically I get a letter, a phone call from someone who tells me how my work has transformed their life.” Notably, in addition to being a tremendous influence upon writers, activists and scholars across the world, hooks reportedly left this world surrounded by family and friends. Since news of her death has broken, tributes have continued to pour in.

11 Likes

I got happy sad tears all at once.
sad doctor who GIF by The Yetee

9 Likes

One of the true forces of good in the world.

3 Likes

We had a very brief overlap at Berea college (I was a senior when she came). What a human.

Gone far to soon. :cry:

6 Likes

I missed the news yesterday because I was buried under a pile of student papers and projects to grade.

hooks’s work showed up prominently in the final projects of many of these students, though, which felt like a poetic illustration of how her work and her power still very much is alive and changing minds and realities for the better.

2 Likes

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.