Below the Radar (Issues being eclipsed by coronavirus)

China warned the UK it would face “consequences if it chooses to be a hostile partner” after London announced its Huawei’s decision. Liu Xiaoming, the Chinese ambassador to the UK, reportedly said China could cut its backing for UK nuclear plants altogether.

4 Likes

Operation Hancock, as the investigation was codenamed, has been the largest blackmail inquiry ever conducted in the UK and was led by Hertfordshire Assistant Chief Constable Bill Jephson, who said: “Throughout this investigation, our key focus was to safeguard the public and identify the individual or group involved as they clearly had no concern for the impact of their actions.

13 Likes
12 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes

So, the British PM is in the news for new lockdown orders. This story seems to be getting ignored because of that:

Maybe it will pick up steam, but so far, I didn’t see anything on either the Guardian or the BBC about this.

6 Likes

The fall-out from this particular mess is just starting:

Edit to add-

7 Likes

Oh good. I’m glad this is getting more attention now. Keep it up, press.

2 Likes
7 Likes

While we all want Trump to lose the election in November out of basic human solidarity, there are now very pressing and practical reasons why it is also essential for us. To avoid war and devastating poverty.

Fintan O’Toole makes the point here that Cummings openly strategized doing this before being in government and that according to ERC members Gove told them to vote for the deal and they’d double cross that bridge later.

As with the first article the fact that a UK trade deal had to pass the House ways and means committee is a bit of a sticky wicket for the English Tories. John Hume’s death was discussed here recently but I don’t recall his greatest innovation coming up. The UK regularly sends a diplomat to embed with any US presidential candidate in order to have a cosy diplomatic relationship with all US regimes. Hume realised that the only way for a small country without the diplomatic clout to deal with that would be to go to America and talk to politicians, chiefly city, local, and Congress people in districts with Irish interests. This is the reason the cease fire.and then the good Friday agreement happened. The Tories were out manoeuvred and forced to do it by Americans. Major did not want to agree to the cease fire (and other parties were going to go ahead without him) but certain events happened which caused the city to put pressure on him and the US leaned on him*. From then on Clinton’s regime kept his feet to the fire whenever he was getting cold feet.

The current US regime is no friend to us. At all. Nor do I trust them to not force things with some blatantly illegal executive fiat bypassing Congress.

So I don’t want Trump to lose any more right now. Common human decency and empathy with the people of America makes that an imperative. It just makes it a very present imperative here, far away. And it does all around the world too. The spillover from America descending into fascism would be felt worldwide and very quickly.

*Sources: conversations with parties intimately involved with the process both publicly and privately.

7 Likes

So it looks like we may be in store for a repeat of Suez. A final attempt at British Imperialism outwith the rule of international law thwarted when the US reminds Westminster that they call the shots.

7 Likes

This reminds me of how important the relationship is between my country and the land of my ancestors.

4 Likes

With or without a Soviet Russian Premier getting involved and
threatening to intervene, and to launch rocket attacks on Britain?

1 Like

Further developments:

6 Likes

UK and Japan agree to free trade deal that excludes data localisation requirements

IBM calls for US export bans on facial recognition tech including cameras and big iron

“Certain foreign governments” should not be allowed to access technology that would let them deploy facial recognition technology as a tool of mass surveillance, says IBM government and regulatory affairs veep Christopher A. Padilla.

1 Like
12 Likes

I would go with git instead of brat, but yeah.

1 Like
2 Likes