Coronavirus now in Congress, Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (R-FL) 1st congressman to test positive

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/18/coronavirus-is-now-in-congress.html

Meanwhile, in the Senate:

(To be fair, Pelosi hasn’t exactly been trying to find a safe solution either).

16 Likes

That just means 20 people working there have it - but couldn’t get tested.

17 Likes

Hashtag FloridaMan!

9 Likes

Tia’s pre-existing conditions mean exceptionally high risk? Did that need to be said? Should he have gone home and exposed his whole family and community if they weren’t at exceptionally high risk?

Probably thought it was all hoax until diagnosis.

8 Likes

I’m still not sure I want them working under safe conditions, either, frankly.

I feel and think that Congress has proven that if Congress is safe then Congress is not so interested in whether we are safe.

Like with health insurance.

10 Likes

CongressCritters have excellent health insurance/care and paid sick leave.

7 Likes

i scrolled through his twitter. looks like mostly he just ignored it.

4 Likes

Average age of a U.S. Congressional Representative is 58. Average age of a Senator is 62. Each chamber has a significant number of members who are in their 80s. I don’t care if they all have personal physicians from Johns Hopkins, that’s still a pretty high-risk group.

17 Likes

And then there were two:

6 Likes

It would be nice if Congress could become a bit overtly gerontocratic without the aid of a pandemic; but it certainly doesn’t seem like anything else is doing it.

God, I so dearly hope this comes to bite him in the ass.

1 Like

CPAC anyone?

2 Likes

“No you’re not, you’ll be stone dead in a moment.”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.