Bentley's SUV built for falconry

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/23/bentleys-suv-built-for-falco.html

1 Like

Is this 1%er gear, or 0.1%er gear?

3 Likes

You decide:

9 Likes

Why does it come with a Subaru ?

8 Likes

I think they’ll sell more of the Bentayga Dogging version.

4 Likes

15 Likes

8 Likes

One time my mom was driving me home and this guy was flying his hawk out in the abandoned drive in theater lot. I made her stop so I could talk to him. Probably screwed up his training, sorry.

6 Likes

Two birds, but not a falcon in sight.

8 Likes

Sounds like the setup for a bad sitcom episode.

“Honey, I’ve got some good news and some bad news. The bad news is, I couldn’t buy that SUV we picked out.”
“Oh no, you didn’t buy the convertible, did you? We agreed that wasn’t practical!”
“Oh, this is even better than the convertible…”

7 Likes

Any vehicle becomes a vehicle for falconry if you leave the windows open and wait.

6 Likes

That just never gets old.
It is an almost mythical expression of something numinous, or at least deserves to become one . . . Symbol of the State is watching Head of State with a jaundiced eye, “Don’t think for a moment that I trust you, servant”.

5 Likes

Hot Rod & Roadkill’s take on it: http://www.roadkill.com/bentley-built-falconry-edition-bentayga-suv-no-idea-words-mean/

5 Likes

Poshmobile? More like boshmobile. This reeks of elite hipsterism.

2 Likes

Nah. Just filthy rich Arab princes who enjoy falconry.

Luftthansa even offers the FalconMaster.

Gonna need more Bentleys!

6 Likes

Feature-wise, it looks like they covered everything except for a way to handle all the BIRD SHIT that would accumulate around the little, falcon pedestal.

4 Likes

Might be just me, but I’d think it would be difficult to make an argument for ‘hipsterism’ equating with grossly conspicuous consumption.

2 Likes

as a person who has cleaned falcon aviaries I second this, this is terrible falconry gear.

6 Likes

It sounds like the back of an old Ford pickup would have been more appropriate.

4 Likes

It’s marketing gear; they’re unlikely to actually sell any.

Falconry is one of those things that requires a nearly 24/7 commitment to building the relationship with the animals, sustained for years. Anyone who could afford this car wouldn’t be willing to spend the time involved.

When the wealthy “do” falconry, what they usually actually do is pay a professional birdkeeper to train and fly the birds for them. The height of the owner’s involvement is perhaps having a bird sit on their arm while they pose for a photo.

4 Likes