Bermeja, the island that vanished off the coast of the Yucatán peninsula

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/06/bermeja-the-island-that-vanis.html

4 Likes

I found it, they moved it up the block, no worries.

19 Likes

I love the theory that the CIA removed it to deny Mexico the drilling rights.

16 Likes

Could the US destroy a small island? Almost certainly. Could they do so without anyone noticing? I’m less convinced.

12 Likes

Thomas Guides had fake information on their maps for just such copyright reasons as the earlier map makers. My favorite non-existent boulevard was the tiny Bat Stew Terrace…

11 Likes

It’s the Mexican Brigadoon.

13 Likes

Oddly enough, this is such a strange topic there happens to be a book about things like this, which serendipitously I happen to have on my bookshelf.

17 Likes

MemeTastic_2020-02-06T21-50

7 Likes

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn”

11 Likes

See also Sandy Island in the Pacific.

I have a feeling that the OS have used the house I currently live in as a ‘trap street’.
It shows as having a large extension in the back garden (which is hidden from the street), but I’m certain that there was never a building there.

5 Likes

Let’s rephrase that as “without leaving witnesses”

5 Likes

I’m there, right … … nah - just kidding. I was there last week.

2 Likes

Has anybody checked with Hank Johnson?

11 Likes

Pretty sure someone moved the wheel.

4 Likes

I thought this was already explained by Baron Munchausen!

5 Likes

I recall hearing about a volcanic island that appeared off the coast of Sicily in the mid-1800’s. Italy, France, Spain and the U.K. all scrambled to claim it, but it was made out very brittle volcanic stone like pumice, and within a year it disappeared beneath the waves.

2 Likes

Yup! Trap streets and trap towns are very much still a thing in modern cartography. They’re even more prevalent nowadays in digital map data products, because copying is a lot easier than it used to be.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.