Bernie Sanders announces 2020 presidential campaign

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/19/bernie-sanders-announces-2020.html

13 Likes

5 Likes

Oh good. Worked out so well last time.

11 Likes

He doesn’t have a policy problem.
He has a Bernie is an extremely old man problem.
I was sincerely hoping he’d throw his support behind one of the younger people running and rally for them, rather than further dilute the vote.

59 Likes

tumblr_o1u3onTy9E1s2wio8o1_500|nullxnull

19 Likes

Too old. Been there done that. Throw your weight behind someone else Bernie.

15 Likes

So he can pull the pin again at the last moment? FFS.

3 Likes

30 Likes

What does Bernie offer that isn’t already supplied by younger, equally Progressive, more appealing candidates who are actually members of the Democratic Party? His issues are already largely adopted by the Party. I supported him in the primary in 2016 because I wanted the Democratic Party to move to the left and actually represent the views of their voters more completely. Then I voted for Hillary when she won the nomination.

Bernie should step aside and enthusiastically support whatever excellent candidate emerges out of an already excellent field, and keep the momentum rolling toward a sweep in 2020.

32 Likes

I agree 100%.

I really wanted to see him find one of the younger candidates and throw himself behind them with his full force and effort.

I think if he had done that, he could have picked the next president of the US and looked like the respected, celebrated elder statesperson he should be.

Aaaaand he would have ended up in a critical cabinet post and/or as a senior adviser.

Instead, he did this.

24 Likes

Why are you so surprised? He’s a politician. That means his greatest desire is to be leader. Or, as a great writer once said:

To summarise: it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

12 Likes

He still could though. He could campaign on the policies he wants without having to compromise for another candidate’s view. He could watch them campaign and see who they are and what they put forward. Then, if he sees that he’s not going to be successful, he may possibly back out and throw his support somewhere. It could happen yet.

18 Likes

This. Sorry, but in hindsight the people who worried about Reagan’s age impacting his ability to govern effectively were completely vindicated and Bernie would be entering office a full decade older than Reagan was when he started the job.

25 Likes

I’m sure he has a bunch of Yes Men letting him know he was so close. But in my fantasy world Uncle Bernie is doing this to run interference for better candidates in the field.

11 Likes

bernie-vote-chibbi

16 Likes

You sorry bunch of ageists. I think if you’ll take a look back through history, you’ll find that almost every single good president this country has had was an old white dude.

11 Likes

I think you overestimate his ability to dilute any vote. His time has passed.

60 or 70 fine. I don’t want to bank my future on whether one single old man lives over 85 years. You can call it whatever you want, but death and sickness don’t care if you think you’re Peter Pan.

8 Likes

This would make his choice of running mate incredibly important.

6 Likes

Yes – although I would say “his party’s choice of running mate.” Which puts the matter in jeopardy, as usual.

Nightmare scenario: Bernie is to JFK as X is to LBJ.

1 Like