Bernie Sanders had artery blockage, stents inserted, off the campaign trail for now

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/02/bernie-sanders-had-artery-bloc.html

5 Likes

Get better quick, Bernie!

31 Likes

Good Luck - be well soon!!!

24 Likes

How lousy is it that Bernie is in the hospital and Donnie the Hamberdler is tweeting away? Seriously worst timeline…

34 Likes

Hope he gets well soon and makes a good decision based on what’s best for him and the country.

3 Likes

Interesting to watch when/if/how much progressive support in the Democrats swings towards Warren. (Should Bernie’s illness/campaign hiatus be protracted.)

3 Likes

And if he decides continuing the campaign is too much, that’s OK, too. As long as he send his money and supporters over to Warren, I’m OK with that as a Sanders supporter myself.

18 Likes

Stents won’t stop Bernie Sanders. He’ll be back! This is important surgery and he’ll need some physical care to recover but it isn’t going to slow him down for long!

16 Likes

It is sort of annoying that this would happen to Bernie rather than others. I don’t know that it’s the end of his campaign – heart surgery really isn’t necessarily that big a deal, plus, any medical story naturally leads in to discussion of healthcare, which is in his favor. But he is 78, and he’s already in third place, and he’s not going to improve his numbers while he’s taking time off. I wouldn’t put money on him now.

I assume he will lose support to Warren, and I can imagine that by raising the subject of age, this might cause Biden supporters to move her way as well; she’s only 6/8 years younger, but she’s a woman, and she seems younger.

6 Likes

And remember, Biden had brain surgery three decades ago. Whether it was successful or not I leave as an exercise to the reader.

20 Likes

Yeah, I see that as an amiable way to resolve the fact that Warren and Sanders would otherwise split the progressive votes. One of them is needed in the Senate if the other is president.

7 Likes

remember that episode “Spock’s Brain”?

5 Likes

I had two stints put in and was only kept in the hospital an extra day because I lived far away from the hospital. Took the Friday off and was back at work with no issue. Of course I was about 60 and not 78.

7 Likes

Cheney has managed to keep consuming human children for years and he’s like 75% stent.

But I do wonder how this impacts his standing in the primaries. There are widespread concerns about the health of all the major candidates. Who are all pretty old honestly. And it does seem to be impacting Biden.

My grandfather just had one put in at 96. He was home in 24 hours and back to his normal routine in less then a week. Its sort of amazing how low impact they’ve made this surgery. They just sorta snake that shit in through a hole in an appropriate blood vessel.

16 Likes

It’s a Deep Stent cover up!

4 Likes

bernie-vote-chibbi

16 Likes

I love bernie. I agree with his policy most of any candidate.

I’d still prefer to vote for someone who’s most likely cause of death isn’t “died half way through first term due to age-related disease”.

4 Likes

Any bets how long until Trump says something crass about Bernie being weak, and how HE is the Healthiest President EVER!!!

6 Likes

Recovery from angioplasty is pretty quick. The big question is whether his medical team recommends that he should reduce stress. Campaigning is stressful. If they took care of a couple of straightforward trouble spots, he’s probably in the clear. If they discovered diffuse, underlying disease, then the medical advice may be to back off campaigning entirely.

I hope he recovers quickly and completely!

14 Likes

I remember when Jerry Falwell said that God was keeping him alive so he could carry on his good work. He was dead within a month.

Hopefully Trump will tempt fate one too many times as well.

10 Likes