Bernie Sanders announces 2020 presidential campaign

I’ll just leave this here…

4 Likes

Why would you choose a candidate you DIDN’T believe would be capable of serving two terms?

Hard disagree. Trump has exhibited many classic signs of dementia, just as Reagan did before him.

But a young person is far LESS likely to do so. Which is one reason 35-year-olds don’t get Social Security and Medicare benefits.

2 Likes

As someone who processes life insurance apps for a living, I can chime in on the stats just based on what I personally see everyday; rates for people 35 and under are significantly lower, because the companies are far less likely to have to pay out any claims anytime in the near future.

Rates get higher the older the person is, and are also impacted by other factors, like lifestyle.

Rates for someone 70 and above tend to be exorbitant, even with good health and a low risk lifestyle… because the insurers’ risk of having to pay out a claim sooner than later are much greater.

Personally, I think Bernie’s cool, and I voted for him over Hilary in the last primary.
If he gets the Dem nom this time, I’ll vote for him again.

But that doesn’t mean I’m not fully aware that his advancing age is still a liability, and not an asset. It’s one of a few legitimate concerns, and it’s just pragmatic to be honest about it, upfront.

6 Likes

I didn’t say that. You are putting words in my mouth — poor idea.

What I’m saying is that he will be an extraordinarily old person if elected, which isn’t reflecting on his ability to govern, but his ability to remain alive for a 4-to-8 year term. That’s a realistic concern. And among a field of much younger people of color, his age is a stark contrast.

I live in New England. Don’t give me that “Vermonters are super healthy” crap or call me ageist.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.