Bernie Sanders wins California Democratic Primary

this all assumes Biden has a choice in how he presents himself and how he runs his campaign. I’m a cynic and believe we’re going to have story time with Uncle Joe.

2 Likes

$15 minimum wage? Like the $15 minimum wage that’s been part of Biden’s platform since the beginning of his campaign?

2 Likes

Prove it. Where and when, with actual Joe saying it.

3 Likes

I am a bit confused as to your thesis. Are you saying that Biden’s campaign strategy is being forced on him by someone (donors? party leadership?) or that telling stories about Corn Pop putting his straight razor in a rain barrel is best he can do because of dementia?

Sure.

Former Vice President Joe Biden endorsed a $15-an-hour federal minimum wage and an option for anyone to buy into Medicare in his first 2020 presidential campaign speech on Monday.

Speaking before a union audience in Pittsburgh, Biden said it’s “well past time that the minimum wage nationally be a minimum of $15.” The federal minimum wage has been $7.25 an hour since 2009.

6 Likes

Thanks for proving my point, Biden jumped on the $15.00 min. wage on Monday. Sanders has been talking about that since 2016. Nice try, but no cigar.

P.S. Buy in is not M4All, that’s another Big Insurance money grab at the working stiffs in the USA!

6 Likes

Did you even look at the article? That was from Monday, April 29, 2019, the first speech of his 2020 campaign. So, as I said, he advocated a $15 minimum wage from the beginning of his campaign.

3 Likes

Your honesty astounds, keep up the good work. Bernie will pull Biden to the left regardless, just watch and see, kicking and screaming, but it’s Bernie’s last dip in the well. See you Nov. 3rd.

Vote Blue No Matter Who!

4 Likes

Many of the Bernie supporters I know would be shocked at how progressive Biden’s platform is if they actually read it. Not as progressive as they’d want. Not as progressive as I’d want. But way past Obama/Clinton territory, and yeah, Bernie’s influence had a lot to do with that.

Anyway, yes, see you Nov 3.

3 Likes

I’ve heard that theory from a lot of people. While I agree that Sanders has clearly been successful in generating strong enthusiasm among a core group of supporters, there’s no evidence that he’s creating massive enthusiasm or driving high turnout among voters in general. If he was, he’d be winning a lot more primaries.

Note that in 2016 he won all the states that held caucuses (where having smaller numbers of enthusiastic supporters who are willing to dedicate hours to an arcane process can win the day) but with the sole exception of Michigan he lost every state that held a regular primary. Given that the main election in November is much more similar to a primary than a caucus, it appears that his ability to win by generating massive enthusiasm is far from certain.

4 Likes

That was the theory anyway. I am as disappointed as anyone that it hasn’t seemed to play out in reality.

3 Likes

I’m sorry, but why didn’t he do that during the primaries so far? This year, Sanders seems to be generally getting a smaller share of the vote than what he got in 2016, and also a smaller share than Biden.

3 Likes

Wow… took a whole 9 replies until we started blaming this whole mess on fellow Dem voters.

At least a credible public option! Please

1 Like

Good news - that’s also part of Biden’s platform.

1 Like

Let’s be clear, Biden’s idea is far from M4All, he want’s Big-Insurance Co’s to hold the purse strings, the very scumbags that have held the US hostage. It’s far from good, and it ain’t M4All, in the slightest.

8 Likes

Not disagreeing. I think it’s fucking insane that we don’t have single-payer. However, cannibalpeas seemed to be under the impression that Biden would need to be forced left to even push for a public option - nope, he’s been advocating that from day 1.

2 Likes

tumblr_nje75vixS71tr6ni8o1_500

3 Likes

And that’s the thing. Sanders would have to win more than 60% of the vote in almost every contest from here on out just to catch up. And there’s no sign he has that level of support in the states that are left. That’s why people are saying he’s done, you’d need something very big and very sudden to get a plausible pathway.

We’re seeing record turnout for the primaries. High turnout in the primaries presages even higher turnout on election day, pretty reliably. As primary voters return for the general very reliably, and there are always more voters come the general. There have been multiple places where more people showed up on primary day than voted in the 2016 general.

And like it or not all that is showing up for Biden, in exactly the spots where he’d need to challenge Trump. In many of the districts and states where Bernie was favored or beat Clinton in 2016. And in many of the same spots that drove the blue wave in 2018.

And what definitely isn’t happening is an increase in new voters or turnout driven by Sanders. In Iowa something like 60% of his caucus supporters from 2016 didn’t even participate. Primary turnout among young people isn’t materializing. And even Sanders’ campaign has acknowledged they aren’t bringing new voters or getting people to the polls as they said they would.

This was a large part of Sanders’ pitch, his claims of electability rested in large part on this idea. And it’s not a bad one. We’ve seen increases in turnout in key spots flip a lot in the last 2 years, and bring a lot of new progressives and a lot more diversity into government. But Sanders hasn’t made it happen, and that failure is a large part of what’s undercutting his campaign right now.

5 Likes

So you’ll vote for an, “incoherent moron.” You are the problem.