Best review of a horrible curved Samsung TV

I’ve supposed it’s so it can be found via Google, amidst all the other consumer plastickery floating around out there.

The reflection problem is actually reduced on curved screens, and amplified at the same time. It will reflect from fewer angles, but when it does reflect, it’s way worse. It really only takes thinking about where your lights are and where they shine. Which I sometimes think I’m alone in doing, until I remember other lighting designers are also doing it, if nobody else.

2 Likes

Is it still possible to buy a non-“smart” TV?

4 Likes

It never occurred to me, but Smart TV is an oxymoron.

8 Likes

In my experience it’s easier to find “dumb” ones online vs. in store. I don’t have an issue with it as long as I’m not paying a bunch for “smart” features. I bought one on super sale on black friday and I treat it as a dumb one and don’t let it on my network. I’d rather run things from my playstation anyway.

2 Likes

Also makes it impractical to put a case with a lip around it to protect the screen against drops on flat surfaces. I wish they’d stop trying to find new ways to make $700 phones more breakable…

2 Likes

I’m with @manybellsdown. I have the same phone with a case and I never drop it. I don’t find the edge problematic either.

(The autocorrect is a bit aggressive, but I’m too lazy to train it.)

Oh man, the autocorrect. Pulling every email address I’ve ever typed into my predictive text. No, I meant “heeey” not “heavytrashhauling.com”, FFS. I finally figured out you can hold your finger down on those options to remove them but it drives me nuts.

6 Likes

I’m sad that’s not an actual site.

6 Likes

I have had a very strong beer and could not think of a real example.

11 Likes

Yeah that’s the problem with pretty much every original idea of samsung

2 Likes

I had assumed it was pronounced “Throat Warbler Mangrove”

5 Likes

Uhm, what…?

1 Like

I think having common words autocorrect to dead people’s email addresses counts as algorithmic cruelty, and that’s happened to me on several occasions.

The average sophomore Computer Science major can probably write a better predictive text than Swype. It’s very simple:

1. “Add to dictionary” should not be default for every new word. The user should have to click on the word to add it to the dictionary, not remove it, as it currently is.
  2. There should be some kind of frequency analysis in determining what the word actually is. Swype seems to work purely off of pattern matching. It should instead work on how likely the user is to enter the word, not only how close the pattern matches an existing word. This can hopefully use bigram and trigram frequency, but simple word frequency is definitely not too much to ask.
  3. Websites and email addresses should not count as regular words. That’s just ridiculous.

I also have a general gripe with how difficult it is to switch between languages on a Samsung phone, unless there’s some really easy trick that I’m missing. There ought to be a button on the keyboard that allows me to choose a language for typing that’s different than the language the phone uses, and then switch the keyboard back when I’m done typing in that language.

Better yet, why not just disable autocorrect altogether?

1 Like

can’t you just swipe on the space bar?

(on iOS you hold down the space bar, and a language menu pop up)

1 Like

I am amazed how poorly autocorrect is implemented, especially since I think that the technology to make it better is there.

Autocorrect should absolutely be context-sensitive. If I say “Would you lik to come over tomorrow,” of course I don’t mean “Would you lick to come over tomorrow” – that’s not a sentence, you moron. Yet autocorrect makes a decision once, and doesn’t go back and improve that suggestion as the sentence unfolds.

However, when I use voice dictation, though Google, it does seem to use context. I can watch as the sentence tries to find the best meaning. It will transcribe a word one way, and then when I get to the end of the sentence, I can watch as the earlier words change to be something more logical. It’s actually quite fascinating to watch.

I think the problem is user-expectation – if you’re typing slowly and you see a word get autocorrected, you don’t expect that correction to change as you keep typing. Indeed, you’re expected to instantly make the change then and there: a backspace immediately after the change reverts it, but if you keep typing, you’re forced to edit it manually. I think there should be the option to say “I prefer to keep writing til the end of my sentence. Then please make autocorrections, and then I will edit as needed.”

2 Likes

I think I can, somehow, because the language selection is written on the space bar, but I can’t figure out exactly what I need to do. I have tried pressing it, holding it down, etc. but to no avail. There probably is some kind of trick, but it’s not obvious to a guy like me with big hands and crappy eyesight.

The stuff I’ve found online either gives the rigmarole of going through settings to go to more settings and then there’s languages three layers deep. Or, it mentions a “long press” on the spacebar. I’m not sure what that means that I haven’t already tried.

After this discussion, I am seriously considering developing my own keyboard for Android.

3 Likes

If you’ve already added another language (Settings -> Language and Input -> Languages -> Virtual keyboard), then long-pressing on the space bar should pop up a list of the languages you’ve added. Depending on your keyboard, you may also get a world-symbol next to your keyboard after you’ve added a second language.

My Google Keyboard does get confused, though, on my up-to-date Android phone. Sometimes I have a Spanish keyboard (with ñ), but all the autocorrect suggestions are in English, and vice-versa.

Again, I’m not really sure what “long press” means. I tried holding the space bar down, and it does nothing.

There’s the problem. What the hell use is an international keyboard if the autocorrect is always English and cannot be disabled? I already can switch the keyboard to include whatever international characters I need it to. The problem is when it autocorrects in the wrong language.

2 Likes