Best review of a horrible curved Samsung TV

I figured out. I apparently had to go into settings and enable a language which already was installed. I’m confused, and that’s too many button pushes. If it’s installed, why not just enable it from the keyboard instead of going a few layers deep into the settings to enable it for real?

1 Like

Curved screens for watching TV are indeed a bit quirky, totally get the glare complaints.

But … curved monitors for doing work, on the other hand, can be super excellent. In fact I am looking at 34’’ curved dell now and the curve does help. No glare cause you are always in the dead center of the thing when working.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Seems a lot like 3D TV.

Works well in some situations (example: not too bad for most in cinemas) But terrible for a living room TV.

This seems an extremely similar problem, Curved Screens are quite awesome for a PC screen (Single user, sat in the sweet spot for the curve) yet utterly terrible for a living room setting.

It’d be nice if manufacturers thought about whether adding new tech to something is a good idea or not, above the ‘extra selling points!¬’ angle of course…

1 Like

That’s what I was trying to describe by “add a language.”

As for why you have to enable it, my phone (appears to) come with 50+ languages already installed, from Afrikaans to Zulu. If I had to search through all those every time I wanted to switch my keyboard to Spanish, I’d be pretty annoyed. By just enabling to two languages, it’s a one-press switch on the little globe icon (or two presses, with no searching, on the long-keyboard menu).

The number of times I have ACTUALLY tried to type the word “toy” and the number of times autocorrect THINKS I meant “toy” instead of “you” are as far apart as the first and last digits of pi.

5 Likes

I own a Samsung UN40JU6700 curved. None of the problems mentioned have been a problem for me. Ours is mainly used by one person, but I have had a few movie nights with 3 people watching, and it worked out well for that.

Right now I am fighting to see the reflection of the light in the living room on the screen, and can’t see it. Maybe mine has non-reflective coating on it, or something.

Mine has English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Korean, and Mandarin Chinese, and maybe one more I’m leaving out. There are probably something like 50+ available for download. I would be fine with scrolling through the 8 or so options I have on my phone.

Ah yes, the young necrophiliac.

1 Like

Exactly. I just want a display, not a computer.

Why does everything have to be a computer, or come with its own little computer in it?

I haven’t had a TV since the 90s, so my beef is that computers are becoming TVs. Damn you YouTube!!!

1 Like

The Otterbox works well, with its, like, 7 mm wide bezel. I’ve never actually broken a phone, though.

The only thing that is noticably better about the s7 than my old htc m8 is the camera. Holy crap it’s good. All the bloatware is shit.

1 Like

I think you might want to buy a monitor. It’s not like the built-in tuner is all that worthwhile anymore.

There ought to be a button on the keyboard that allows me to choose a language for typing that’s different than the language the phone uses, and then switch the keyboard back when I’m done typing in that language.

The Samsung keyboard software was never intended for use by … me. My thing was the two-speed backspace. Hold the press too long, and now we’re deleting lines! Like no other keyboard ever!

Google has a generic keyboard as an app. It’s not great enough to praise, especially, but at least it isn’t that stupid.

1 Like

Scrolled down to look for this reply. Leaving satisfied.

1 Like

Not on mine most recent version. Holding the space bar gives me a mouse-like bar cursor. Which I’m glad to have learned about!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.