Best television one-time-event 1978: The Star Wars Holiday Special

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/14/best-television-one-time-event.html

10 Likes

For certain definitions of best.

There is a reason it was one time.

22 Likes

This is an interesting article about how some people didn’t want to watch the third landing of the moon since it wasn’t that big a novelty.

7 Likes

Still - you’ll take my Star Trek ornaments from my cold, dead hands.

My fav is the Galileo- with Spock saying Happy Holidays when you press the button. Finally finished my solar system ornaments to complement. Buying over the years.
image image
Nice big sun too.

18 Likes

A friend had a bootleg copy of this (copied off a bootleg rental) rattling around his car trunk for years. I think that says something.

5 Likes

Definitely take a look at the RiffTrax treatment done to this “masterpiece”! Worth getting!

9 Likes

22 Likes

The joy of this “special” lies in imagining what Bea Arthur and Harvey Korman were saying about the script between takes.

12 Likes

The whole thing should be skipped except for the Ralph Bakshi animated segment that introduces Boba Fett riding a dinosaur.

EDIT: Users have correctly pointed out that the animated segment was by Nelvana, not Ralph Bakshi.

18 Likes

It looks like Harvey Korman’s character is into Eurorack.

7 Likes

Honestly, this is the only way this should be viewed.

2 Likes

When I watched this with friends a few years back, standing up at the end of the show I felt stupider somehow, as if the programming had drained IQ points right out of my head.

Dunno if I could stomach a second viewing, but Rifftraxx would probably help reduce the stupid tax.

5 Likes

Or a fancy 70’s-era electronic set.

(Said as someone who traces his Eurorack obsession back to both the 70’s-era electronic set I had - not as fancy as the photo - and first hearing the Doctor Who theme.)

1 Like

Where do you live? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Part of the problem is that this Special was made at a time when “special” still inferred that something was good.

8 Likes

I have a friend who is still grousing that the Hulk was held up for this genre mash-up nonpareil.

Don’t make him angry…

5 Likes
2 Likes

I haven’t actually watched this since the original airing, but I think I might get high and dive in…

4 Likes

[pedant] Not Bakshi - Nelvana, the same Canadian studio known for Rock and Rule, A Cosmic Christmas, Romie-0 and Julie-8, and several Saturday morning Star Wars series. [/pedant] I was a big fan of their stuff as a kid, especially Rock and Rule (soundtrack by Lou Reed, Iggy Pop, Cheap Trick, Debbie Harry, and Earth Wind, and Fire!)
ETA: Rock and Rule is on YouTube!

9 Likes

The only thing(s) missing from this:

• Bert Convy
  • Rip Taylor
  • One or more Osmonds
  • Paul Lynde

That “CBS Special” opening (immiediately after “Incredible Hulk will not be presented this evening”) caused a Pavlovian reaction in me; to this day I expect that a Peanuts or Rankin-Bass holiday special is imminent.

11 Likes