Best way to get started with Arduino

[Read the post]

Oh, yeah? Well I put on a one-man version of Hair that my neighbors lauded as “nightmare inducing”!

9 Likes

Another item not available outside the US. Thanks Mark!!

But what can you do with Arduino?

Best way to get started with Arduino

I thought that was just man arduino.

More like what can’t you do.

Our library (in Canada) just got ten of these kits; having seen a bunch of Arduino kits in my day, I have to agree. This kit is worth the price of admission.

It has a great book, tons of neat bits to fiddle with, and enough to keep one busy for a good while.

You didn’t really answer his question, but it does bring up the interesting philosophical idea of whether a list of things something can do and a list of things something can’t do are the same thing.

1 Like

The Arduino is a very good idea for non-engineers interested in STEM, but if you really want to understand what happens at quite a low level in computing, I think the PIC is a good bet. 35 instructions, on-chip peripherals and for most jobs doesn’t need external oscillator parts - just connect up a battery and go. With the PICKIT programmer/debugger, available for around $20 from Chinese sources, and a few components, it’s possible to get a real feel for low level programming - bit diddling and none of these fancy branches.

Even Arduino is a long way in abstraction from where things started, and the Pi is a very long way away. The PIC is more like a 6502 but with built in timers, serial ports and A/D converter, for around $1.

Later this year I may if I summon up the energy, and if there’s any interest, put up some documentation and source code for running a tiny near real time system on the PIC 16F721, with sample code for all the on chip peripherals.

The PIC means that with a soldering iron and some prototype board you can build a practical, working embedded controller that does some actual work for under $5. The initial learning curve is quite steep but it is much more like “engineering” than coding.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.