Bestiality was not socially acceptable in medieval Europe

Even today, in small towns, people always know more about other peoples’ business than they probably should. The less there is to do with their free time, the more time and effort people put into watching the neighbors and trying to figure out what they’re up to. Gossip is still a power social force in a lot of places.

What is more likely to be a mistranslation is the part where God creates Eve out of Adam’s rib. The original probably was the penis bone, which makes better sense as an explanation why humans unlike most mammals don’t have one.

1 Like

Finally a reference to sex with animals that has some actual relevance to contemporary society… It’s actually nice to see the discussion here centers around consent, rather than as a slippery slope argument for homophobia.

Edit: typo.

Allegory for what exactly?

I hate to search for meaning and coherence in fairy tales, but it certainly doesn’t look like an allegory for sex to me, read for yourself:

https://www.biblehub.com/genesis/3-5.htm

According to Robin Dunbar (of Dunbar’s number), language itself came about through primates talking shit: Grooming, Gossip, and the Evolution of Language," 1996

Except that once again, what they imagined and the folk ways involved are vastly different things. And I doubt that the Christian women practicing these folkway thought of themselves as witches.

But I already said that above…

2 Likes

Are you offering to buy the one I have?

1 Like

What the Church imagined wasn’t relevant. I’m pretty sure they didn’t care a fig about the folk ways involved. They were willing to say anything about witchcraft and witches that they thought was useful in whipping up hysteria. Much like Trump, they regarded honesty and reality only as enemies to be defeated on their way to what they wanted.

1 Like

Isn’t it curious that at that time the clergy could read and write, and the ones they fucked over could not, and with Trump it appears to be the opposite.

Okay dude… whatever you say.

Except that in the Middle Ages the Church did not actually do much railing against witchcraft at all. The concern about witches was really an Early Modern phenomenon. In the Middle Ages the official stance on people who claimed to do witchcraft was that they were misguided. There was much more concern just trying to get people to do basic things like not kill people on Sunday or challenge the hierarchy by encouraging people to read the bible and follow the example of Jesus…

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.