Scotland apologies for the historic persecution of witches

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2022/04/14/scotland-apologies-for-the-historic-persecution-of-witches.html

9 Likes

Your auto-correct is misfiring today. Her name is Nicola Sturgeon.

14 Likes

Now, what about us heretics?

17 Likes

Good.

8 Likes

The Scotts are on top of this whole “Witch Grooming” thingy. /s

7 Likes

4000 (fourth row in the picture)? Pfaugh, check out Germany and Switzerland. Also, this source is completely at odds with the “2/3 were executed” claim.

4 Likes

20 posts were split to a new topic: On public buildings with amazing design

It’s about time someone apologized for all our suffering so many lifetimes ago.

10 Likes

It’s a bit weird that they separate out Scotland and England (presumably because over most of this period the United Kingdom didn’t exist) but at the same time talk about numbers for “Germany” and “Italy”, which likewise didn’t exist as countries at the time.

7 Likes

Better late than never? At the same time, it feels almost progressive relative to the US, where I feel like any day we’ll start back up with government persecution of “witches” (among others).

6 Likes

Pandering for that crucial immortal witch vote.

3 Likes

Is the lack of either an s or a z at the appropriate place in the headline due to indecision about which to use? Since this is a story about Scotland apologising, let’s go with s.

2 Likes

Legal stats will always show Scotland and England separately, because they have two distinct legal systems, with their own, separate laws and record-keeping.

If you were to go by the similarity of legal systems, you would have more of a case for reporting England and the USA together than England and Scotland.

2 Likes

“Well, we did do the nose.”

The Scots were indeed hell on wheels when it came to witches. No joke.

1 Like

It’s wose than that

Germany tried and executed 9587 witches, and not being satisfied with that, they just went and executed 6887 more without so much as a trial.

fuckers.

I think that graph shows, for Germany, 6,887 tried and executed and another 9,587 tried (and presumably not punished by execution or found not guilty).

5 Likes

Color me shocked that Spain only had 1. Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition to only kill one witch. I guess the rest were heretics?

Yeah, that is what I am getting from that graph. The part in red is the number actually killed.

1 Like

For a long time in many parts of Europe, denouncing someone as a witch to the authorities was not a good move, because believing that witchcraft existed was heresy.

Additionally, if you look at the times and places that did see accusations of witchcraft, they generally happened in poor areas during times of unrest and weak central authority.

2 Likes

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition… at all!

2 Likes