New Salem Witch Trials exhibit re-examines the meaning of "witch"

Originally published at: New Salem Witch Trials exhibit re-examines the meaning of "witch" | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Of course it’s almost certain that none of the people condemned in Salem’s infamous Witch Trials identified as any of those things, much less as witches. They probably all identified as Christians, killed by other people who identified as Christians.

I haven’t read any credible accounts of people self-identifying as witches prior to the neopaganism/Wicca movements of the early 20th Century.

So it’s a bit of cosmic irony that Salem, by condemning people falsely accused of being witches, ultimately made itself into a real-life destination for people who DO think of themselves as witches.

29 Likes

I also went to a great drag show in Salem a few weeks ago, so there’s that.

10 Likes

And Salem Witch Trials is an anagram of Male’s Trial Switch

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m not thrilled about what was a human rights atrocity being appropriated by neo-pagans and Wiccans, but anything that sheds light on the evil that was the Salem Witch Trials and other similar witch hunts by bloodthirsty Puritan hypocrites is still a win.

6 Likes

The trials didn’t really ever stop happening.

13 Likes

And Ironically enough, the Satanic Temple fights for human rights, religious freedom, bodily autonomy, and public health.

9 Likes

I think part of why the qnuts are using the term “luciferism” is to make it clear that they aren’t talking about those folks, even though I am sure they think that all satanists, witches etc. are also secretly eating children or whatever.

4 Likes

I’m one of those godless atheists myself, but I can’t manage fresh unbaptized baby, it doesn’t fit into my diet. I can only really go with the low cal baby skin as seasoning on things.

6 Likes

The various writers got it right most of the time, but

The words of Mary Esty, who was hung in the last group of murders

Meat and art is hung, people are hanged.

Witch trials were primarily a way for already wealthy landowners and the church (same thing, really) to steal property from less privileged folk, mostly women. Having them publicly executed provided extra-disgusting entertainment for the locals. Fucking appalling.

Does any organized religion on this planet not have a shitload of fucking appalling abuse for which it should atone?

4 Likes
1 Like

And then there’s this…
(Apologies - it is The Sun)

And this, from just this week… (screenshotted because full article is behind paywall - and it is another Murdoch rag)

3 Likes

There’s probably something to be said about certain Wicca and Neo-Pagan traditions as appropriations of indigenous Gael/Celt/Britonnic traditions, too — but similarly, I’d rather stick it to the asshole Christians.

4 Likes

Aye, though I personally use the term xtian for these assholes, people who claim to follow the teachings of Christ but are far more enamored with nailing others to a cross.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.