Betsy DeVos confirmed as Education Secretary thanks to 'historic tiebreaking vote' from VP Mike Pence

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

4 Likes

The first punch is thrown, she believes that psychological child abuse is a good thing and will happily torture people like me.

She’s fair game.

14 Likes

I remember the Franken grilling as a few weeks ago. They had time to listen and respond. They just didn’t care. And why should they? With the possible exceptions of Flake and Heller, their seats are safe.

3 Likes

Sounds like a plan; I’ll bring the booze.

22 Likes

[quote=“ChickieD, post:22, topic:94562, full:true”]
Last week’s big question: Is it okay to punch a Nazi?
This week’s big question: Is it okay to punch our new Education Secretary?
[/quote]That depends - is she a Nazi?

5 Likes

Sure, I’ll just pull my legs up and lean against the back wall. It’s L shaped, so we can make it work. I hope someone brings chips.

6 Likes

Wow. It is true. In America you can be anything you can dream!

Just another sign that unless you are straight white male dis gonna suck…

And I fucking hate it.

2 Likes

I agree, but you made some comment about gay conversion therapy. It sounded like you were against it, but I wasn’t sure.

1 Like

GODDAMMIT!!
The second worst thing in all of this is that Murkowski is one of my senators. I wrote emails, I called, I tweeted, and when she said she couldn’t vote for DeVos because (partly) of the outpouring of protest from her constituents, I thanked her and thought, ‘Golly! It really does work to get involved!’ And then my wife pointed out that Murkowski could have stopped DeVos from getting out of committee and speculated it was all part of a GOP deal to let her and Collins voice their dissent to ease the pain of her confirmation and my belief in our representational democracy got squashed.

For now, at least, the Alaska State Constitution does not allow for public funds to support religious and private schools so we might see little change here with DeVos, but fuckitall, this sucks.

16 Likes

Oh I am. I just want devo to be shown through the world she would inflict on the rest of us and that she is sheltered from.

3 Likes

How so? Genuinely curious.

The committee voted on it. The 12 Republicans (inc. Collins and Murkowski) voted yes, the 11 Democrats voted no.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/31/politics/betsy-devos-clears-senate-committee-in-nomination-hurdle/

Sen. Lisa Murkowski said she had been inundated with calls from Alaskans raising concerns about DeVos, but said she would support her in the committee vote out of deference to the president.

4 Likes

Having had the privilege and honor of educating at every grade level K-12 in California in my relatively short education-vocation life, I see this moment as marking a pivotal moment in education overall.

We can now expect with some certainty that our public education system will fail most indices, even more than it already has. With this expectation: What can we do now?

Answering for myself, I’ve come to fully grasp that educating youth can’t just be the endeavour of what is bound to be a miserable institution. The village must take the reigns of sowing the seeds of a brighter tomorrow.

An inspiring example of this is the Boise Bicycle Project.

It is a non-profit that promotes bicycles through education and outreach. Locally, similar projects are happening all over small towns the world over, my town included. In ours, we are developing safe bike train routes to and from school so that the whole community can contribute to a sense of shared educational responsibility, for the sake of the town itself.

Let’s develop bike train routes and board them with the wise, young and mature, towards a better place.

4 Likes

18 Likes

After reading Sen. Portman’s absolute trash defense of his vote to approve…

11 Likes

AK expat myself and agree it’s disappointing that she didn’t stand up in committee. But let’s place the blame where it really belongs; all the other spineless GOP senators too frightened of Trump retribution to stand up against the most incompetent, unqualified cabinet appointee of this administration if not the last 100 years.

15 Likes

Yeah, maybe she alone couldn’t have stopped her, but she could have voted against her in the Health, Education, Labor & Pensions Committee. If both she and Collins had voted against her, that would have been it.

5 Likes

Well, there’s your problem.

ETA:

##WELL THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM
3 Likes

Still have a bit of room in my End of the World Box (must provide your own beer hat)

12 Likes