Betsy DeVos's summer monstrosity is pure McMansion Hell

Henceforth, she shall be informally referred to as Incontinentia Buttocks.

5 Likes

Razing old neighborhoods is more under the umbrella of gentrification I think.

And yes, they are popping up everywhere.

Being ugly is orthogonal to being a McMansion. Some are probably beautiful architecturally, doesn’t make you less of a tool for buying one.

1 Like

I hadn’t really thought about it before now. Just wondering how many clickthroughs the actual source article gets, with so much of the content presented here. Back in my day, blogs typically gave a few sentences or a short paragraph with a link. Now large chunks of the article get excerpted, and there’s less reason to click through.

If you were going for the Latin reflecting her portfolio, then might I suggest

Betsius Plena Stercore Excessit - The Hammer of the Can.

A citation from the classics.

1 Like

I think she’s on Tumblr. Could be wrong… She’s brilliant.

My neighborhood (formerly tract housing for Hughes Aircraft workers) has more and more McMansions. Even the (very) few that aren’t intrinsically hideous are ugly because disproportionately big, relative to the lot and the surrounding houses. Sometimes size alone can make an otherwise OK building ugly.

3 Likes

Sounds like someone is pure jealous.

If the shot was just a bit wider, you could see the ornamental fountain, filled with the blood of public school children.

7 Likes

The one thing I never understand from this and previous “McMansion Hell” articles is why these people seem to enjoy living in a house furnished like a hotel lobby.

6 Likes

First, welcome to BoingBoing, comrade. Second, what do you think she’s jealous of? DeVos’s awful taste and profligacy?

13 Likes

14 Likes

Part of it is likely that they don’t spend a lot of time living in these homes as most people understand the concept. If DeVos spends more than eight weeks out of the year in this pile I’d be surprised.

People with this level of wealth often skip hotels entirely when they travel, which may be more than half the year. They own and rent villas and mansions appointed with the same hotel-like decor and appointments and servants. There’s usually an actual home as we know it in the mix but often it’s not too far removed from the luxury hotel lobby aesthetic.

Does she have a… fwend?

3 Likes

Punishing the rich is not popular here. Too many Americans dream of becoming rich one day, even though it is extremely unlikely. I grew up around a lot of working class folks who whined frequently about how if they won the Lotto that the government would take so much of it away.

I can only shake my head that people are upset over imaginary winnings. And even if they did win, they’d still be set for life.

We’re setting ourselves up for a second Gilded Age. And in a way the parallels have already surfaced. As was true the late 19th century America it is also true today, the effective income and standard of living of unskilled labor has steadily fallen, while skilled labor have increased modestly. And we’re already there in terms of wealth inequality. That era ended with the rise of labor unions and an increase of social activism and other progressive movements. That’s likely the only way out of what we face today. It will probably come about very suddenly once global warming triggers a second dust bowl and the masses are starving.

P.S. - my friend used to work on the kitchen of one of Dick’s yachts. it’s a small world.

3 Likes

The goal is not really to punish the rich, but to mitigate some of the nasty side-effects of extreme wealth concentration, including the use of vast wealth to buy a compliant political system that breeds more inequality.

4 Likes

I have said this before and I will say this again Kate Wagner is a national treasure (nay, international treasure)

Support her!

11 Likes

Or perhaps, to paraphrase Horace,

“Civis Americanus sum, odi profanum vulgus”

you really should go here–> http://mcmansionhell.com/post/151896249151/the-10-circles-of-mcmansionhell-the-mcmansion

5 Likes

Architects have been executed for lesser crimes than this.