Better Call Saul: The Rise of Mike The Cleaner and The Fall of the McGill Brothers in "Pimento"

[Permalink]

1 Like

Fun side note for gamers - the guy Mike disarmed did the voice of Trevor in GTA V.

3 Likes

psuedoephedrine doesn’t come in 80mg doses. oxycontin does, however.

4 Likes

You know, it’s really not necessary to put the spoilers in the header. I can avoid clicking, but I’d prefer not to have to avoid BB till I’ve watched the episode.

2 Likes

Jesus, what a dick move from Chuck. The worst thing about it is how the “you’re not a real lawyer” putdown is going to work like a self-fulfilling prophecy. Jimmy could’ve actually put his past behind him for good if given a shot at HHM, but now this’ll probably be the decisive step on his way to becoming a “criminal lawyer”. It’d certainly be understandable - contrary to Walter White, the snubbing which he’s received from the establishment is actually real and (for the most part) unjustified. Now he’s probably headed for a similar arc of taking revenge by exercising his unique skills to bad ends, exactly as Chuck feared.

4 Likes

I was struck as Jimmy drove away from Chuck’s house that it was the exact moment that Saul Goodman came into being.

4 Likes

I have to agree with this - that little box of pills won’t make much methamphetamine - but it has quite a bit of value as oxycontin. I don’t know exactly what year this show takes place but psuedoephedrine did not go behind the counter until March 2006.

2 Likes

The bottles are labeled as oxy.

3 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that. He was even characterised as him, in some form. Isn’t the nerd the voice of the guy with the cane who did the plans?

Oh chuck, you utter bastard. The relief of seeing him on the bench at the beginning seemingly over his condition was eclipsed by his betrayal. While you could sort of kinda see his point he never even gave jimmy the chance to prove himself, he saw his rehabilitation as being a mailboy for the rest of his life and nothing more. The road is now laid out for saul goodman it’s just the devil is in the details. So, howard not quite being the bad guy we assumed all along, mike being amazing as usual… what else can you do but repeat superlatives.

Great writeup as usual, thanks.

1 Like

Spot on summary in every way.

Just such greatness. Fantastic performances from all actors. Hamlin having to drop out of his hatchet-man role in front of Kim, because even he respects her too much to lose her good opinion. The way Kim’s voice breaks, still doing right by James McGill and not arguing with his fusillade of misdirected pain-born insults. Chuck being both kind of right about “Slippin’ jimmy” still being in his brother, and with his own fear of being surpassed by Jimmy and his own regrets for his career, being instrumental in ensuring his brother wouldn’t have or make a chance to rise beyond his past.

There’s no other show where I go back to watch previous scenes after subsequent revelations, and see such entirely new layers revealed.

Then Banks further dropping wisdom with the grounding of a criminal Jedi.

This creative team has so earned every ounce of my trust, and then some. This might be the most spot-on first season of any show I’ve seen. Other great series, even Breaking Bad, took some time to find themselves on sure footing. This series was strong and consistent right out of the gate, and built all the way up to this.

3 Likes

Exactly. I can’t understand a lot of comments when they compare it to breaking bad, of course it’s going to come off worse since they are comparing it to the entirety of the 5 seasons. Was bb essential viewing after just the first season? It rewarded you with the long haul as this seems to be doing, and all the better for it.

1 Like

This was an excellent, perceptive review of “Pimento.” But I have one minor quibble. Jimmy and Mike’s paths won’t converge because Jimmy owes Mike a favor (for stealing all the Kettelman’s cash.) Getting the Kettelman’s money was Mike’s payment for Jimmy sitting in during Mike’s interrogation by the cops from Philadelphia. Just before Mike takes the money to the DA’s office, he asks Jimmy if they are “square”, and Jimmy replies “We’re square.”

The scene with Mike in the parking garage was sooo bad-ass I just had to rewind and watch it again. Great characters in this series.

1 Like

My husband’s been rewatching Breaking Bad and we just watched the scene where they hire Saul Goodman ( He’s not a criminal lawyer, he’s a criminal lawyer.)

It’s fantastic to see the contrast between Jimmy that is still trying to play by the rules and Saul who has embraced his outsider status and is sticking it to the man with a vengence. He is just as smart and talented as his older brother, but has finally given up the game of being respected.

I’d be happy if the Breaking Bad spin-offs went fractal, and Mike got his own show next.
He’s becoming an Agent Cooper-like character; it’s fun just to hear him talk about a sandwich.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.