Between 1856 and 1889, a mysterious leather-clad man walked the roads of Connecticut and New York

Originally published at: Between 1856 and 1889, a mysterious leather-clad man walked the roads of Connecticut and New York | Boing Boing

3 Likes

A leather clad Biker without a bike, sad story.

7 Likes

One of the CT ultrarunning badasses, Lee-Stuart Evans, has studied The Old Leatherman quite extensively, and put together an approximation of the route he took over his 34 day voyage. About 343 miles or so, which LSE traversed himself over about 9 days rather than the Leatherman’s very precise 34. It’s an extraordinary story, given how little is actually known about this man.

Very interesting interview with LSE on this topic as well (in the context of my favorite ultrarunning podcast):

6 Likes

That is wild! I lived around that area and have covered some of those trails on my own, CT has some pretty interesting trails and I’m sure there was no end of frustration covering some of that ground, especially in the winter.

3 Likes

I remember hearing about him when I was growing up in CT. A well-known bit of Nutmegger lore.

3 Likes

What’s the mystery? He was just breaking in his new leather suit.

2 Likes

leather

5 Likes

May contain traces of Mink Oil.

3 Likes

Also a good Pearl Jam B-side!

Now we know the origin story behind the Mother Goose nursery rhyme with the misty moisty morning and the man in leather and the many “how do you do”s.

1 Like

His one man crew – the Netherworld’s Cherubim – never took off.

1 Like

Hear tell he was looking for Slender Man.

They both had a beef with Marlboro Man.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.