Beware: This strawberry under a microscope video shows us what we don't want to know

As an American, I know my food is good if it kills anything that touches it.

4 Likes

Looks mitey tasty to me. :yum:

6 Likes

The Buddha says that insect life is karmically inoperative.
(Actually that was Roger Zelazney in “Lord of Light”, but it works for me.)

2 Likes

You can find slightly larger arachnids in some seasonal pasta, though the predatory bats keep their numbers under control

5 Likes

I’m going to continue in my blissful ignorance that washing the fruit removes the bugs.

4 Likes

Of course, you are; you wouldn’t want to eat dirty strawberry mites, would you?

7 Likes

… TIL there are bats in my pasta :thinking:

4 Likes

I’m more concerned with the awful farming methods used for strawberries in the states. Nothing like the amazing fruit Japan grows and sells for a premium. Because of soil pathogens that been allowed to spread, and of course monoculture, the soil is fumigated with toxic chemicals before each crop and then the same chemicals are used for drip irrigation to prevent wilt. If you don’t want a mouthful of methyl bromide (banned by the UN), this is one fruit to grow yourself.

6 Likes

You mean the Japanese strawberries grown using thousands of gallons of kerosene?
Yes, chemical use in growing produce is definitely a problem. It is not only the problem of the United States. A problem literally everywhere around the world.
In Japan is not a shining example to hold up when their obsession with strawberries in winter means using literally tons of kerosene every year to grow them out of season.

6 Likes

i guess some of you don’t want to to read about face mites?

Actually, we just had a story about them – how everyone you have ever respected or admired, ever loved, ever shared an intimate moment with had mites defecating on their face.

10 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.