Oishii strawberries, formerly $50 for 8, are now just $6 for 3

Originally published at: Oishii strawberries, formerly $50 for 8, are now just $6 for 3 | Boing Boing

4 Likes

the tesla of strawberries

chelsea peretti ew GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

42 Likes

They catch fire and roll through stop signs

41 Likes

Yeah. That comparison does not make me want to try one.

20 Likes

Tesla of strawberries…

so, it’s a strawberry, lots of tech goes into its creation, the CEO is a dickhead, and they charge way too much for the product, but a bunch of people are still lining up to buy it?

26 Likes

Yeah, I wished they’d picked anything else to describe them. Vertical farming might be an option to combat the effects of climate change on agriculture, if resources are managed well:

18 Likes

I bet sales will go down, since they’re still too expensive for sensible people, but no longer expensive enough to be seen as a prestige luxury item.

10 Likes

Absolutely… it sounds like a fantastic idea for modern farming. But since some people seem to believe that Telsa is on some cutting edge of being environmental, we have to see things twisted in this way.

10 Likes

The Uber of strawberries? (They’re grown in some guy’s backyard and you pay him to pick a few for you)
THe WeWork of strawberries? (A big shared strawberry farm with your own plot that you rent and tend yourself)
The Netflix of strawberries? (streaming)

8 Likes

If the strawberries are no longer expensive enough to be seen as a Veblen good, perhaps. But at the new price they are available to a much larger market. If they are still seen as top-quality berries the increase in volume of sales should more than make up for the loss of the .01% market (and the .01%ers still need to get their strawberries somewhere).

11 Likes

How about vertical farmed strawberries…? :woman_shrugging:

7 Likes

10 Likes

How are you supposed to get all the hot VC cash for that?

6 Likes

Maybe we don’t need to do that shit in the first place? :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

Or you could just plant them in the ground and grow awesome berries, without being suckered by commercial, flavorless berries that are grown solely for their ship-ability and storage lifespan.

7 Likes

Yeah, I tried that. The rabbits have been getting lessons from the squirrels in how to successfully reach food despite use of fencing, and plants they supposedly don’t like. Maybe a mini garden in a squirrel-proof feeder is my only hope! :woman_shrugging:t4:

17 Likes

Don’t forget the berries randomly catch on fire and occasionally kill pedestrians

7 Likes

True… our strawberries are completely covered with a metal mesh tent, but it solves those problems. Weird thing is, our raspberries have no cover at all and don’t need it.

4 Likes

Near me, so looked up the building. For a super-high-tech building making a product to help defeat climate change, an elevation of 8-15 ft above sea level with the backyard being NY Harbor does not seem like the wisest of decisions.

5 Likes

I don’t know, I can almost see the resemblance…

14 Likes