Bible: tl;dr edition

I just googled “God” and got:
404 Entity Not Found
No such entity exists, did you mean “Gullible”?

Lord Hanuman asks you to open your heart

Seriously though, you believe in them but think they all perished? And that your God still answers his phone?

3 Likes

Yea, sounds about right.

Aren’t all believers wrong?

Don’t know. Was it more or less than how many did the Christians kill for being heretics or for another silly pretense?

If you talk to a god, it’s called a prayer. If a god talks to you, it’s called schizophrenia.

4 Likes

Nice copout.

Seriously, I will not entertain you unless you try harder.

I would be surprised if there was an exact number recorded, actually. People kill each other over their invisible friends, and even over different flavors of the same invisible friend, for millenia or more.

4 Likes

There’s going to be entertainment! Bet you can’t beat this:

5 Likes

I don’t see this as a fight. I said what I wanted to say.

i didn’t see it as a fight either.

Ridiculous things taken seriously should be mocked. That doesn’t rule out our understanding why people believe in ridiculous things. The psychology of belief has much to say about it, but none of that makes any religion true or worthy of “respect” for its unjustified beliefs.

Many believers have a schizophrenic relationship with their claimed nature of god:

Believers constantly attribute all sorts of qualities to their gods and have a list of doctrines as long as your arm. It is only when the questions get tough that, suddenly, their God disappears in a puff of mystery. Ineffability becomes a kind of invisibility cloak, only worn when there is a need to get out of a bit of philosophical bother."

-Julian Baggini

1 Like

If you don’t take at least some of the bible as literally true there is no Christianity. No Garden of Eden, no Adam and Eve and no Fall means no Original Sin, thus nothing for Jesus to die on the cross to vicariously redeem us for. Not to mention that a non-literal bible would mean that even Yahweh and Jesus are merely metaphors for, er, something.

So, yes, pretty much every Christian worldwide believes at least some of the bible is literally true - otherwise there is no meaning to the term “Christian.” Christians differ on which parts/how much of the bible is literally true, not that some or much of it is.

3 Likes

Explaining a joke is like vivisecting a frog. In the end, no one is interested and the frog is dead. :wink:

3 Likes

“The Klingon’s Gods are DEAD! We killed them all!”

1 Like

Mod: Guys, stahp!

5 Likes

As an agnostic, I don’t agree, but I see no point in mocking you because I really see nothing to mock. I have my view of the world, and you have yours, and I’m not really interested in bringing me over to my view. All I care about is what you do with that world view here. Be part of the solution, not the problem, as it were.

That’s exactly my point I was trying to make… no matter what we believe, we all have to live together and try and make this a better world, together. I feel as if we have collective problems that rise far above our inability to agree on the nature of the universe and if we can’t get above our petty squabbles and actually deal with them, well, then religious, atheist, agnostic, whatever, we’re all going to be screwed over.

2 Likes

Again, there is a wide variety of belief within the faith. Some are literalist straight down the line, others are not. A catholic, is not a Episcopalian, is not a Quaker, is not a Lutherian, is not a Coptic, etc. Take the Quakers, for example, which exhibit a pretty wide variety of believes:

http://www.quakerinfo.org/quakerism/beliefs

Also, keep in mind that religion can be used as much for resistance to oppression as it can for oppression… Think of Civil Rights, Indian independence movement, the various sects in England in the late Elizabethan/ Early Stuart monarchy, in the Middle East/North Africa, especially among Sufis, etc.

Talking to people of different faiths you realize how much they actually differ and quite a few of them do take the bible as allegorical, even if their preacher is telling them something different. Plenty are able to embrace science and technology and not throw out a belief in god.

If all you’re interested in bringing down the faith, and all that, that’s fine, I suppose - you’re just not going to get very far. If you want a more secular world, where people are free to worship privately, but the assholes who think we all need a dose of god are kept out of it, that’s probably far more likely.

But, I personally care far less about what people believe and far more about what they do. If someone’s god tells them to do good works, care for the poor, be good stewards of the earth, put their bodies on the line for positive, human-centered change, and love everyone regardless, I can work with that person. If someone’s god tells them that they need to shun the unbelievers and that they are masters of the universe, I got problems. This goes for the new atheist movement, as well. They are starting to exhibit worrying signs of dogmatic thought. That, to my mind, is the real problem. We are no where near being able to successfully chart what reality is, though we are probably closer than we’ve been before. There is nothing wrong with a little humbleness and an admission that there is still plenty we don’t know. I’m not saying in that knowledge gap lies god, just what we don’t know.

At the end of the day, we are all here together, and the more you push against people, the more they are going to resist and get more fully entrenched.

2 Likes

Required response:

1 Like

Why?
I mean, because its harmful? Does mocking reduce the harm?

See the Jefferson quote.

Yes, I see.

You are tilting at windmills then. Literally and figuratively.