Bidding for the rediscovered movie prop "Red Leader" X-Wing fighter starts at $400k

Originally published at: Bidding for the rediscovered movie prop "Red Leader" X-Wing fighter starts at $400k | Boing Boing

3 Likes

This might be a little silly to post here, I imagine most visitors to this thread are well-read connoisseurs, but the wikipedia article is pretty fun, and list the original X-wing designer as Colin Cantwell and describe the different models and props they built.

also this fun tidbit:

In 2018, a number of Star Wars starfighters had their aerodynamic abilities tested using the Autodesk Flow Design virtual wind tunnel program. When tested, the classic T-65 X-wing design had a drag coefficient of 0.45, which is only slightly better than the coefficient of a sphere.

11 Likes

If I had $400K lying around, I’d snatch this up in a heartbeat. Sadly, I’m about $399.95K short.

baba sigh GIF by Puffin Rock

16 Likes

Advertise a fund raiser on gab where you need to get some filthy* X content that was shown to children by hippies in the 70s off the market so children aren’t exposed

* It’s got to be pretty dusty after all this time, right?

3 Likes

Well, you could console yourself with this somewhat cheaper Cylon ship model:

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/movie-tv-memorabilia/props/hero-cylon-raider-filming-miniature-from-battlestar-galactica-universal-tv-1978-1979-/a/7278-89484.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Open-ThisAuction-120115

4 Likes

Guess you’ll always just be Red Two…

3 Likes

how ever did the x-wings become battle scarred? the darn things blow up after a single hit

4 Likes

I wonder how much a box of debris from the Red Ten or Red Twelve X-wings would go for at auction?

Actually, Red Leader got blown up too. Did they painstakingly glue the model back together for this auction?

3 Likes

I can tell you from first-hand experience that they can survive damage to their hydraulic lines.

6 Likes

Holy shit that would be amazing to have…

2 Likes

I imagine they didn’t want to blow up one of the fancy servo-controlled models just to get the explosion shot. Plus the mechanisms inside probably would have ruined the pyrotechnic effect.

4 Likes

The attack scenes from the movie 633 SQUADRON which influenced the attack scenes in STAR TREK - even down to the R2D2 on each X-wing.

4 Likes

i don’t understand. where is the beastie boys song?

1 Like

It also has the same drag coefficient as a 1990 Range Rover.

It’s also slightly worse than a 1980 VW Type 2 :laughing:

6 Likes

I hope this ends up in a museum rather than some billionaire’s private hoard.

A place like MoPOP would be perfect for it.

4 Likes

Over there, in a box.

1 Like

Han Solo would tend to agree…after a fashion…

4 Likes

scarring their squad mates with debris?

2 Likes

actually… yes. all questions answered.

3 Likes

The droids have definitely seen some shit.

1 Like