Biden begins to address corruption on the Supreme Court

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/17/biden-begins-to-address-corruption-on-the-supreme-court.html

11 Likes

Too late.

6 Likes

Right?!

1 Like

Maybe, but Durbin and Schumer have pretty much exhausted the we’ve tried nothing, and we’re all out of ideas approach, so I welcome the attempt.

43 Likes

It’s really very polite to resort to legislation when a court has outright decided that you enjoy impunity for basically whatever you do; rather than just taking them up on it.

30 Likes

It’s good that he finally acknowledges the problem in a public way, but unless there’s a miracle where the Dems decisively take the executive and legislative branches that’s all it will be.

15 Likes

He should endorse AOC’s impeachment of Thomas and Alito. Take the gloves off.
Joe Biden GIF by GIPHY News

36 Likes

Constitutional originalists, my ass.

33 Likes

Congress should abolish the Circuit Court system and move those 170 odd judges to the Supreme Court. Cases would get Justices from that pool via the lottery system.

9 Likes

I can’t see the Supreme Court allowing Biden to use executive orders to impose term limits or ethics rules on the Supreme Court.

6 Likes

So he just jails them when they don’t comply. It is what they asked for after all. (/s, I think. Not entirely sure)
\

17 Likes

Yeah, it probably won’t get through Congress, but it’s gonna be prominent enough where the people trying to avoid talking about it will absolutely have to talk about it.

9 Likes

I don’t think that he would or should explore this avenue; but I was thinking of the other way to use impunity and executive branch officers to impose term limits on life appointees; which is more of a telling rather than asking operation.

9 Likes

… if only he’d been concerned about such things in 1991 :thinking:

5 Likes

He could really get the ball rolling on the amendment restricting presidential immunity by taking advantage of the immunity.

6 Likes

If you think the current SCOTUS would find that Biden can do what you are suggesting, you haven’t been paying attention. Their decisions aren’t internally consistent. Their decision is intended to give Trump immunity, not Biden. Please note that they made themselves the final arbiter of what is and isn’t an “official act”. Plus, they said official acts are entitled to presumptive immunity, not complete immunity. They gave themselves just enough space to block anything Biden might try to do through executive orders, while allowing Trump to do anything he wants to do.

This has to be done through Congress or through Constitutional Amendments. Both are unlikely to happen … unless we fucking vote for Democrats in huge numbers in November. I’m so tired of the whining about “it’s too late” or “Biden should do something” or “what difference does it make?” Right now, we can still do something to allow all this to be done. We can re-elect Biden, and we can give him a strong majority in both houses of Congress. It’s not too late. It really isn’t.

42 Likes

It’s fun to fantasise and joke about, but it’s just not in Biden’s nature as a politician nor a human being.

10 Likes

It also amazes me that people imagine that this Court is just going to let Biden do whatever he wants.

17 Likes

Episode 8 Shade GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Can we stop giving into despair, please. If we give up now, then they WILL win. Get on your boots and FIGHT these fuckers. It’s not over yet.

We’re gonna go down in fascist flames, because people are too distracted by grammar… JFC, who CARES…

23 Likes

No, and I was going to say something about that, but decided not to. Likely not the smartest choice given recent events, but I’m rarely accused of being the smartest person.

7 Likes