Supreme Court agrees to consider Trump's claim of immunity from prosecution, delaying his trial

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/29/supreme-court-agrees-to-consider-trumps-claim-of-immunity-from-prosecution-delaying-his-trial.html

15 Likes

Why are they wasting our time here…

27 Likes

My guess is to delay the trial so Trump can still run for President.

36 Likes

I cannot in my darkest imagination believe the Supremes are about to grant absolute immunity to the asshat. I can easily believe that the fascist wing is seeking to delay the case past the election, to aid the fascist candidates. As long as this is before the court, the case is delayed, which is the only strategy Il Douche has here. That, and take absolute power, at which point immunity won’t matter. God, I hate this timeline.

38 Likes

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

The Office Yes GIF

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

Pedro Pascal Laugh GIF by Golden Globes

23 Likes

A favour is being called in. Let’s hope that it isn’t the only one in this case.

12 Likes

I don’t know… Maybe. But it’s really bullshit and they have to know that.

20 Likes

Absolute immunity as defined by the SCOTUS ruling conceivably could allow Trump to dissolve both Houses of Congress on January 20th 2025, jail political opponents, declare martial law, etc. etc. All due to civil unrest…and Trump’s bloodlust for vengeance.

17 Likes

He has largely said that he would do these things and more. No speculation needed. Folks on this site are probably already on a list somewhere. I am fairly sure I am, since I have already been called a race traitor and groomer IRL here. There is strong reason to make sure that never happens.

37 Likes

On twitter there are dumbasses posting things like “be careful what you wish for libs because that means Clinton Obama and Biden will be charged next.” And my response is, “ok.” They are so convinced of government corruption that they don’t want it to end they just want their side to be the one doing it.

21 Likes

They’ll probably do something like they did in Gore v Bush and say it’s non-precedential (i.e., we’re going to decide for Trump, but we’re not going to allow anyone in the future (i.e., a democrat) have it apply to them). Stare decisis is so inconvenient.

10 Likes

In what world would his call to Georgia to “find more votes” even be constituted as “official acts”???
This is such a stretch, I can’t believe they’re willing to hear this. It’s infuriating.

24 Likes

Joe Biden GIF by ABC News

23 Likes

SNL Cold Open:

SCOTUS finishes its ruling that Presidents do have absolute immunity.

Biden stands up from a chair in the audience with a pinstripe suit and a Tommy gun.

He proceeds to use his immunity with impunity against the court.

Dying words of Chief Justice Roberts:

Liiiiiive fff fffrom new yo. Yo. York.

BLAM

Biden: IT’S SATURDAY NIGHT!

huge applause

30 Likes

So NY and GA will have the first convictions, then the federal court.

7 Likes

Unless they can figure out a way to drag those out further too…

7 Likes

NY trial is on for 3/25. It deals with pre-presidential activity and violations of state law. Immunity arguments and trying to flee to Federal Court won’t work.

They already tried to drag out GA by attacking the prosecutor. That has ultimately failed.

14 Likes

And neither will the Supreme Court. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

The point isn’t to succeed, it’s to drag the process out. That’s still a possibility. They might also try to find other ways to drag it out.

Thomas and Alito would rather have less real power and more perceived power by cosying up to fascists. As long as they can keep reaping benefits for their role, why should they give a shit about the institution.

15 Likes

All of that is true. Still,

Watching Tv Swearing GIF by Gogglebox Australia

The fascists need to DIAF

14 Likes