Trump’s immunity claim going up in flames

Originally published at: Trump’s immunity claim going up in flames - Boing Boing

9 Likes

Hell Yeah Reaction GIF

33 Likes

What does that mean?

“If elected, I will end this cycle of elections every four years?”

26 Likes

yes, that’s what he means. Every day will be day one.

26 Likes

From WaPo’s coverage:

The judges were clearly concerned that accepting Trump’s argument would open a Pandora’s box of horrible acts by future presidents that would go unchecked and unpunished.

Trump’s lawyer tried to convince the panel that the real danger was letting this case go forward and opening a door to future presidents operating in fear of being prosecuted when they left office.

How exactly is “future presidents being afraid of being held accountable if they commit crimes” supposed to be a bad thing?

51 Likes

And there is The Guardian…

23 Likes

“If the President were to order SEAL Team 6 to assassinate a political rival, would the President be subject to prosecution?”

Answer, paraphrased. “Only if they are impeached by the house and convicted by the Senate.”

This is a president who has already ordered the extrajudicial killing of a political opponent and bragged about it. If they let this go through, they’re green lighting Trump committing political assassinations.

17 Likes

Shoot, this is a president who has already ordered the extrajudicial killing of a political ally.

13 Likes

who did he ordered killed? Hilary Clinton seems very much alive to me?

In that, you mean Pence… I don’t know if he “ordered” it, but he certainly encouraged it? :thinking:

13 Likes

An antifa protestor in Portland suspected in a self defense shooting. It’s not a direct political opponent, but it is a political opponent.

EDIT TO ADD:

He also ordered the vanishing of a number of protestors in portland, who were kidnapped by special forces operatives and thrown into unmarked vans and vanished for hours. It was only the pressure that had these people tracked down and later released.

8 Likes

Do we have evidence that he directly ordered his murder (like saying “taking that guy out” kind of thing)? I mean, cops will do that shit anyway, they don’t need an explicit order to do so.

9 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/15/politics/trump-fugitive-shooting/index.html

"“We sent in the US Marshals,” Trump said during a campaign rally in North Carolina, adding that it “took 15 minutes (and) it was over.”

“They knew who he was; they didn’t want to arrest him, and in 15 minutes that ended,”

“And I will tell you something: That’s the way it has to be. There has to be retribution when you have crime like this.”

11 Likes

Hello… Mister Immunity. Before you leave us, could you please grab a hold of Trump and take him with you?

4 Likes

“He could have him murdered, along with GOP congressional allies, and be immune.”"

excited-listening

8 Likes

I keep reading Republicans say stuff like “if they get away with doing this to Trump, then they’ll do it to Biden next!”

To which I’d respond “I’m actually pretty cool with the idea of Biden facing legal repercussions if he ever leads an insurrection against the United States.”

51 Likes

Exactly. Reminds me of this comic.

1GH8A

44 Likes

I think Biden should come out and say: "If I were to shoot someone on 5th avenue, I would expect to be arrested. Trump sought the Presidency because he thought it would put him above the law. " I know he’s avoiding talking about Trump’s legal issues, but I think it’s fair game to talk about what Trump has said.

31 Likes

There is one difference, in that I think Republicans will go after people who didn’t break the law. Look what they are doing with the impeachment of Biden, and they can’t even say what, exactly, he did wrong.

I don’t put it past them to try to actually weaponize the DOJ with very flimsy and not evidence based charges. I think our system is still robust enough where that would fail, but if they succeed it is going to be a bad day.

But anyway, we should be enforcing the law because it was broken, and not worry about the possibility of abuse of power. We are pretty much guaranteed an abuse of power if Trump is back in power.

23 Likes

I don’t think we can operate out of the fear of that bad day outcome. I mean, how many times has the GOP tried to start an impeachment process on Biden already? And yet, they haven’t managed to even have an impeachment vote yet. Why? Because there’s nothing there. Trump was impeached twice, because there was something there. This is the same way. Trump doesn’t have immunity because he wasn’t acting in his capacity as President. What are they going to do with Biden? Claim that he doesn’t have the authority to set immigration policy? Their whole complaint is that the isn’t setting the policy they want, not that he doesn’t have the authority. So they’ve literally admitted that that’s within the scope of his duties as President. What else are they going to try to get him on?

14 Likes

trump’s immunity claim will fail in the appellate court and the supreme court will not grant cert to review it.

7 Likes