Biden on Navalny poisoning: 'I will… hold the Putin regime accountable for its crimes”

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/03/biden-on-navalny-poisoning.html

6 Likes

Uh huh. And Presidents Kennedy through GW Bush swore to get rid of Fidel Castro.

5 Likes

I don’t know what “holding the Putin regime accountable” would look like but it would be a huge step in the right direction just to have a President who acknowledged Putin’s crimes.

24 Likes

Right?

Instead of just saying, “We’re not so innocent, either…”

(Ironically, that’s actually true, but it doesn’t make it “okay.”)

17 Likes

But wut about China, hurrderrr. /s

2 Likes

Not even elected yet, already sounds like a president. Light years ahead of where we’re at now.

Please, America… don’t let me down this November.

8 Likes

Please stop it; that’s not helping.

2 Likes

Essentially accountability translates to continued sanctions here.

2 Likes

Fair enough. Comment withdrawn.

5 Likes

And for all the bad stuff American intelligence agencies have been up to over the years, they don’t regularly poison political opponents to the degree the Russian ones do on behalf of the Shirtless Wonder.

But Whataboutists are gonna Whatabout, especially since it’s long been a favourite tactic of Russian propagandists going at least back to the early days of the USSR.

7 Likes

They all actually did try to do so, unlike this current president. None of them took directions from Castro (though Carter sought to engage rather than isolate).

Bad policy isn’t the same thing as active complicity.

9 Likes

sudo putin/do/goodnotevil

Putin has so much money held for him outside of Russia. If you want his attention; impound his funds.

9 Likes

I heard Trump brag that he often sells real estate to Russian Oligarch’s

2 Likes

The weak pole in the tent may be the banks that launder Russian money (ex: Deutsche Bank).

4 Likes

We can talk about Mitch McConnell in a minute.

5 Likes

He could give examples, declassifying them as he rambled along.

"There was that time we installed a surveillance apparatus in Room 321-A of the Kremlin. There was that time where we recruited the deputy naval attache at the Russia Embassy in China, and he’s still giving us the goods to this day! There was the time where we broke the code used to…

2 Likes

You make a good point. I’m almost glad he’s so illiterate he never reads briefings, or he would definitely have done exactly this, so often.

1 Like

Did he commit a crime in the US?
I don’t think International law works like that.

1 Like

He’ll work together with our allies and partners (snort, as if we have any of those left) to… uh… write a sternly worded letter. If he really gets into it determined body language might be deployed and raised voices used at the press conference.