'It's me, Navalny,' says Putin critic in first post since emerging from coma after Novichok poisoning

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/15/its-me-navalny-says-pu.html

3 Likes

So, how long until the foreign press is writing similar stories about US dissident journalists?

2 Likes

Because this seems like a fine place to get crushed for hypothesizing, what if this poisoning was a false flag operation, started by a party with interest in seeing Putin removed? You know, possibly like…us?

Great news! Am I the only one who read that in Mario’s voice?

ETA: Or is that the joke and I just didn’t get it?

3 Likes

When Alexander Livitnenko or Sergei Skripal were poisoned, was Putin’s position weakened the slightest? Why would anyone expect a different result this time?

Why did the russian doctors officially find no traces of poison? Do you believe he was poisoned by something that they could not detect? Or do you believe there was no poisoning, and that from the moment he was sick of natural causes, someone came up in two days with a plan to frame Putin for it?

9 Likes

If you think that’s bad, wait until you see what happens to useful idiots and Putin’s fanbois. Imagine the kind of fool who thinks an authoritarian and bigoted deca-billionaire who’s gotten elected in rigged election after rigged election is being hard done by and should be pitied more than his poisoned opponent.

4 Likes

Given that the strong consensus is that only Russia has access to Novichok-type stuff, this seems unlikely. Hypothesizing is fine, but do try to make them fit a plausible reality.

3 Likes

You think the bbs was behind this?

Huh, it isn’t explicitly banned by the community guidelines, which does seems suspicious.

11 Likes

Thanks, dude, now the plan’s off!

Dick move, bro, we nearly had it in the bag… :woman_facepalming:t3:

10 Likes

Or maybe Satan?

6 Likes

Sadly, no. It’s not just you.

2 Likes

And he doesn’t have an alibi.

3 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

Novichok again? Why the same poison?

Is it arrogance? It can’t be stupidity as the poison didn’t work like a lethal bullet and left a signature of the culprit.

There is no strong consensus. Probably anyone with good organic chemistry skills and access to a decent university chem lab could, if they were foolhardy enough, produce it.

I cannot find the link but the US Military has produced something like 3 different Novicok- like versions and the Czechia has tested a variant. It is not something you can buy in the local drug store but it is not that top-secret anymore.

Yay, he remembered his name.

“As part of a co-ordinated response, 20 countries expelled more than 100 Russian diplomats”

6 Likes

[quote=“KathyPartdeux, post:18, topic:180255”]
“As part of a co-ordinated response, 20 countries expelled more than 100 Russian diplomats”

I was referring to the availability of Novichok.

Of course, to be picky, there are 193 countries in the United Nations so 20 is not a strong consensus. I admit that a lot of them have/had more important things to worry about than an alleged assassination attempt of a former double agent.

Just to avoid confusion about Novichok poisonings of Putin’s enemies*, this article is not about Skripal the double agent but about Navalny the opposition politician.

[* sorry to bring up motive in addition to means and opportunity]

3 Likes