Biden Transition Team/Appointments Watch

6 Likes

I just feel like Iā€™m going to be sick. Obama picked Garland as a compromise, someone the Republicans wouldnā€™t say no to. So basically when the Republicans have any say they get exactly what they want, but when they have no say the Democrats pick a compromise?

16 Likes

Iā€™m less concerned with that for an attorney general than if it was for the Supreme Court given how far right the court is and how technocratic the AG is supposed to be.

Also - I hope it pisses Mitch off.

13 Likes

Pretty much. Establishment/corporate-leashed Democrats, that is.

9 Likes

Republicans in the Senate would shit a brick. As they should. ā€œThat guy we totally screwed over in 2016? He is now running the DoJ. We may be in trouble.ā€

13 Likes
18 Likes

This podcast episode wasnā€™t about Bidenā€™s team per se, but instead about the many, many things he can do, especially for ā€œmain street,ā€ if heā€™s stuck with a Republican Senate. It gave me a nice shot of hope.

COME 2021, THE Democrats are likely to find themselves in control of the presidency and the House but not the Senate ā€” meaning Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will be in a position to block any ambitious legislation from the new administration. But as Trump has shown us, thereā€™s a lot a president can do without Congress. Robert Hockett and Demond Drummer from New Consensus and Dave Dayen from the American Prospect join Ryan Grim to discuss just how much Biden can do on his own.

9 Likes

This. I honestly canā€™t believe that congress doesnā€™t have any power to force people to testify. It was just a couple years back the UK parliament sent the sergeant at arms to take someone out of their hotel room and told them to turn over documents or get locked up in the tower of London. Thatā€™s how you do it!

20 Likes

my only fear would be ā€“ seeing how republicans had something like 30 hearings on benghazi ā€“ it could also be used as a tool to disrupt government.

oto, the republicans have done just fine disrupting governance with the tools they already have, so something needs to be able to reign them in.

11 Likes
14 Likes

Ignoring them? How about deplatforming them?

11 Likes

But it would be nice to set a precedent with qualified experts in important positions.

2 Likes

Give Trump a permanent unappealable lifetime ban and give Biden @BestPresidentEver as well as @TheReal45thPresident

6 Likes

not sure if anyoneā€™s posted this yet. rumors were going round that biden was looking at rahm emanuel for transportation secretary

8 Likes

As a native Chicagoan, fuck Rahm Emanuel. When Obama made him chief of staff, I automatically thought a lot less of Obama. There is no reason to appoint Emanuel to any position.

Just when I thought we were rid of himā€¦

10 Likes

Rahm Emanuel, the rash that just wonā€™t go away.

12 Likes

He would be awful for that position.

The only thing heā€™s good for is if you need an asshole to unleash on people- or to lay blame on.

9 Likes

Thatā€™s what I was thinking. Make him in charge of cleaning up all the shit from 45ā€™s term. Sic him on Yertle. I wouldnā€™t even make him AG or Special Counsel.

10 Likes

Wynken and Nod to carry on without him.

11 Likes

11 Likes