Biden's first executive orders: pandemic, climate change, racism, immigration

Is that something that can be undone via Executive Order? I thought that Congress put that rule in place.

6 Likes

House + Senate + Biden + Harris = overturn. Even Joe Manchin should be ecstatic to pitch in for this one.

7 Likes

Hopefully so, but I can see why it wasn’t a “first day” kind of thing.

5 Likes

Oh, for sure.

3 Likes

“Are you tired of so-called ‘swing states’ getting all the attention? Do you want politicians to earn your Republican vote in Utah/Wyoming/Alabama/Montana/etc.? Vote for the NPVIC ballot measure and make your vote as important as any Georgian’s!”

8 Likes

Super-Evil guy is out. Good guy is in. Not Bernie good but on the right track at least. Fantastic for my young girls who have only seen pussygrabbin Trump. Awesome to see seniors walking around the neighborhood today cheering and flying the flag!

9 Likes

Id really like to see you embassy in Israel moved back to Tel Aviv!

5 Likes

Re: Immigration

I’m not sure what CPB has up its sleeve now that Trump is out, but now they’re taking everyone’s photo who passes an agent to get across the southern border. :thinking:

5 Likes

Good start! Keep going, Joe. I know you’re heading left, but don’t stop. Keep going. Me and my fellow progressive friends do not want centrist liberals to get comfy and settled in. Lefter. Lefter!

When cops actually face consequences for murdering Black people, I’ll pause and re-evaluate how hard I want to keep shouting LEFT. Until then, hustle, move, move.

10 Likes

“Order every administration appointee to sign an ethics pledge to ensure that officials act in the interests of the American people and not for personal gain.”

That one stood out to me.

6 Likes

The question is how binding such a pledge is. It’s a nice symbol but is it more than that?

5 Likes

A bunch or executive orders on the pandemic today, apparently.

7 Likes

PR is a bit complicated, though. I’m not sure how/if that has changed, but I recall in the past that there were about ⅓ wanting statehood, ⅓ wanting independence, and ⅓ wanting the status quo. These last four years may have changed that considerably. If I were there, option three would be out as far as I was concerned.

I’d have to say, a majority Spanish-speaking state would make a lot of bigots’ heads explode.

8 Likes

Symbols can be important, especially just now. Obviously actual impact is how he will be judged, but at the beginning, I will take it.

6 Likes

You’re right. And fortunately, it’s already a settled issue:

And DC is already halfway through the legislature:

These are also simple majority votes (and again, DC has already passed one chamber). Of course, the process for full admission will take time and we likely wouldn’t see full admission and representation for a few years, but this is a very attainable goal. (ETA: I’m referring here specifically to the drafting of a state constitution, governor’s office, legislative elections, etc. Per the below, there’s nothing the GOP minority can do to prevent or alter/negotiate this.)

It sure would, wouldn’t it!?!

12 Likes

Well it is already a legal obligation, a pledge is just a nice reminder.

4 Likes

Apparently there’s nothing there for Biden to build on so let’s get cracking!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/politics/biden-covid-vaccination-trump/index.html

13 Likes

He is! He’s pretty cracking so far.

10 Likes

It’s more of a “this is why you’re being fired” thing. If we can’t trust you to keep your pledged word, then we can’t trust you to be in a position of authority.

10 Likes

That’s outside of the scope of executive order territory. It would require an act of Congress to fix. While fixing that they could actually let the post office adjust rates based on costs rather than returning to Congress for every adjustment.

3 Likes