Biden's first executive orders: pandemic, climate change, racism, immigration

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/20/bidens-first-executive-orders-pandemic-climate-change-racism-immigration.html

18 Likes

Americans needed to see this ASAP: a real government once again doing substantive things to help everyone within the country’s borders and striving against cruelty and corruption.

54 Likes

Remember “both parties are basically the same”?

40 Likes

I thought it was tradition for the first executive order to flip the bit on the global gag rule restricting US-funded health organizations from discussing abortion. Apparently Biden is going to rescind it again, just not on the first day.

12 Likes

Thank you. We’ve been so starved.

32 Likes

Yes! Shoot those executive orders right into my veins!

21 Likes

Prepared and competent… I have chills.

19 Likes

Welcome back.

15 Likes

What’s next?

7 Likes

Get rid of the policy or whatever it is that requires the USPO to fully fund the pensions or retirements of all the postal workers. I forget what the exact wording but it’s been brought up here and there why the postal system is losing money. https://www.forbes.com/sites/ebauer/2020/04/14/post-office-pensions--some-key-myths-and-facts/?sh=a3d6a9e47f5d

15 Likes

And surrounding himself with super-smart people who are actually qualified. Jeez.

15 Likes

Purging government agencies and departments of Trumpists and White supremacists; enhancing and strengthening domestic and cooperative international efforts to combat Russian influence and attacks on democracies; work with Congress to draw up and enact constitutional amendments and laws to 1) better define the powers of the executive branch of government, and 2) get rid of the electoral college and replace with a national popular vote.

18 Likes

I mentioned this to some random idiot on Facebook today, some fool who said “The postal service should be run like a competent business or get shut down,” that this is a totally fake problem that can be solved very, very quickly.

Dismantled mail sorting machines, on the other hand… (I can barely get packages delivered via USPS with any reliability these days).

8 Likes

I have been thinking that the Dems, as a PR effort, should draft and present “The New and Improved Constitution,” not because it can pass any time soon, but because it defines a goal and reminds people that yes, technically, we could have a New and Improved Constitution AT ANY TIME – IF we vote for the people who will make it happen.

4 Likes

Nice thought, but #2 requires a constitutional amendment. Republicans know they would never sniff the Whitehouse again if that happened, so yeah, no chance.

6 Likes

There is the NPVIC:

It’s an end-around, but the Constitution puts assignment of EC votes in the hands of the states, so it will be hard to justify a judicial challenge.

14 Likes

This is true, but still would require some Republican legislatures to go along. Or we could focus on state legislatures like we did on GA Senate races! That would be even better!

11 Likes

Step One: undo the dumb. You can tell Trump didn’t build anything of value by how quickly it was all reversed.

5 Likes

Another turd has been flushed.

17 Likes

DC and Puerto Rico statehood are an end-around to both of those. The compact and amendment both require too many GOP stranglehold states to acquiesce and if they do they’re rendered impotent in the way they’ve become accustomed to. Statehood tips the balance in a way that could impact Senate control and very possibly the next round of redistricting. Those two would go a long way to mitigate the race to party hegemony.

8 Likes