Big Audio Dynamite II's 'Rush'

Originally published at: Big Audio Dynamite II's 'Rush' | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I loved that album when it came out. I’m sure glad I didn’t see that video until now.

10 Likes

Yeah… it’s a long road from London Calling.

Also, I never noticed the keyboard riff near the middle is Baba O’Reilly.

9 Likes

BAD, was and still largely underrated. They get the Dear Wife and I out on the living room floor every time, busting moves like a couple of teenagers.

14 Likes

As was “Carbon/Silicon”, Mic Jones’s next band.

5 Likes

Great band. This was one of my favorites by them:

9 Likes

Saw them on The Globe tour along with The Cranberries. And I would add that the album Megatop Phoenix is very underrated as well as massively influential. Big Audio Dynamite - James Brown - YouTube

4 Likes

they had some lousy songs, but they also had some great songs. This is another one of my favourites.

3 Likes

i still love that album, but yeah, that video needs help.

4 Likes

I literally haven’t listened to BADII since the 90’s, and I could still sing along to 100% of the entire song (even the interstitial “rhythm and melody” section)!

Looking back to when I got this on cassette tape, I’m surprised that it didn’t just burst into flame from constant use!

5 Likes

It’s funny how a song can stay with you.
The line " Somehow I stayed thin while the other guys got fat" still goes through my head at least once a week.
While I’d put their first album amongst some of my favorites, I’ve also got a really soft spot for I Turned Out a Punk.

I’ve got the lab to myself today and was already having a sentimental 80’s music day, and This Is Big Audio Dynamite is now queued up next!

4 Likes

Truth!

Better beans and freedom than cake and slavery
As long as we’re together that’s good enough for me
Every inch a battle, had to see it through
With some love and laughs and each other too

3 Likes

Would love to know the long walk from creating the song and the very literal and very “art” directed video. I guess your public image may be limited.

5 Likes

“Angry is an energy”

9 Likes

That’s a hard pil to swallow!

7 Likes

Right? Tastes…rotten.

6 Likes

Can’t complain as I may look worse with a vicious hang over

5 Likes

I haven’t heard this song in a long time. I have a copy that’s a double A side with The Clash’s Should I Stay… with the Levi’s logo prominently placed on the front. The song was used in a jeans advert and became a hit again on the back of that

3 Likes

I like The Clash, but BAD has more songs that are my favorites, and this greatest hits album is in my desert island collection.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planet_B.A.D.

4 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

Man, oh man, do I love Megatop Phoenix. I think there’s a very strong argument to be made for “Start” / “Rewind” being one of the best album-opener-as-statement-of-purposes that’s ever been. (Definitely on par with similar openers “Airbag” or “Race for the Prize”.)

3 Likes