Big beef jerky is ripping you off

Mine will not go below 300F – seems like a no go. I will use the smoker tomorrow.

There is a kind of “tofu” (technically it isn’t) in China that might be interesting to experiment with called tofu skin. There are several types that might work, but my favorite has a cloth texture.

(it might be called something else, but this was the only picture I could find and it calls it tofu skin)

Taste and texture wise, it fits between pasta and meat. In fact, sliced into strips, it makes a nice alternative to pasta But it’s has a firmness and umami more like meat (but not the same). It’s really good on salads, in soups, and used as a wrap for veggies (and meats).

Anyway, I always thought it might taste good with jerky type seasoning.

1 Like

Flank steak, hands down, makes the best jerky. Cut it at 1/8" along the grain, marinate for 24-hours, and for the love of all things holy, use a proper, dedicated dehydrator - not your oven like you’re some off-brand heathen.

I promise you’ll get the most tasty bang for your buck.

2 Likes

Both John and J.J. are made of meat.

3 Likes

Oh, that sounds lovely. I’m adding jerky to the big list of “how do we get rid of all this zucchini?” that we have to consult every year.

1 Like

I freeze mine, slice em in half moons, spead them on a baking tray and pop them in a freezer for 20 minutes so they freeze seperately, then bag em and put them in the freezer til needed… I do have a low frost freezer, but I imagine most are nowadays.

2 Likes

In preparation for a 8-10 day hike, I bought this at my local Costco: 1 lb for $9.79 (on sale this month):

It’s not the South African biltong I grew up with (and certainly not as satisfying as the lovingly and joyfully prepared jerky in the video), but it’s pretty tasty. And I don’t have to slice, marinade, smoke, cook, or clean up.

2 Likes

I think that’s the brand that makes the Korean BBQ pork jerky I get at Costco for road trips.

Either way Costco sells 1lb bags of Korean BBQ jerky for around those same prices and it is the only flavored jerky worth buying.

1 Like

I used to make biltong in a dangerous device of my own devising but I’ve been told I am Not Allowed to do that in our new house (cupboards full of blood and electrical wires with the occasional spider are, apparently, frowned upon in polite society).

1 Like

I have bool kogi in the oven turning into jerky now.

1 Like

There’s also mushroom “jerky” which is pretty fantastic. I was even able to find it in my podunk rural grocery store, though it is seasonal out here in the sticks.

1 Like

Has anyone here who has made beef jerky at home paid attention to ho much water is lost in the process? Assuming it is 50%, then the $32/lb do not sound like as much of a rip-off anymore compared to $10/lb for fresh meat, but rather like the typical markup for selling a processed food product in tiny portions.
Not that I believe that any commercial producer actually pays $10/lb…

I’ve used Alton Brown’s air conditioner filer, box fan and bungee cord method a few times to great success. I just adjust the marinade to whatever flavor I’m after.

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/homemade-beef-jerky/

2 Likes

Check my comment above.

The text book answer is 4:1.

I’ve found that was pretty close to the mark.

"Recipe for making jerky. Obtain some type of meat, slice it into pieces about half of an inch thick. Hang the pieces on a laundry line or something like it and leave out in the sun for maybe 6 months… Well, that’s what my recipe says. When eaten, you recover about 150 HP. "
–Earthbound, description of Jerky.

“A gourmet version of jerky that is considered a delicacy. It is created by a skillful artisan who has been making jerky for over 60 years. Jerky fans consider this the caviar of all jerkys. I understand that they don’t dry gourmet jerky on a laundry line… When eaten, you recover about 300 HP.”
–Earthbound, description of Luxury Jerky.

Oops, thanks! Clear case of “wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil” (It’s always an advantage being able to read).

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.