Big Weed: ten farms could supply all of America with marijuana

What does CA law say about growing your own for personal use?

They don’t call it “weed” without a reason, ya know.

2 Likes

Someone doesn’t understand growing modern marijuana.
One doesn’t simply plant 10,000 acres outside and then combine all their mary-jay-wanna into bales in the fall.

The requirements to grow high grade medical marijuana means it is usually cultivated extremely high density indoor hydroponic setups under high intensity lights. One can’t take those statistics and graft them onto midwestern fields.

12 Likes

I know two average middle class people starting CO2 extraction businesses in colorado, neither has a lot of capital, but the gear has come down a lot in price and that is the priciest due to the pressure. Most meth trailer park labs have more gear than is required for every other type of extraction. Even the lab testing and batch certification has come way down.

1 Like

Big Weed: ten farms could supply all of America with marijuana

C'mon people, let's dial it up to 11!

Farm country kid here, in MythBuster mode. While farm sizes have been rising, like, forever – 589 acres median in 1982, 1234 acres median in 2012 – the vast bulk of American farms are family owned. (Yes, many of those farms are incorporated, but the shares are held by blood- and marriage-related people.) By the time you get to “ConAgra” sized operations, you’re talking about barely more than 10% of American ag. (Interesting counter-trend – USDA’s category of “very small farms” of 20 acres or less have greatly increased; the average farm size since 1982 has only increased from 222 acres to 251 acres in 2012. For example, I know folks who make a decent living with vegetative propagation – division, grafting, striking [cutting], and offsets [cloning] – on only one acre.)

Anyway, the U.S. farm census is quite fascinating in what it reveals. Dip a toe in the water with this press release – it’s a quick intro to scale of farm classification; f’r’instance, a “small family farm” is one that does <$350,000 in gross annual sales, while a “large family farm” does >$1M. (For add’l scale, a small print shop with 7 employees can handily approach $1M in annual sales.)

For a satisfying deep dive into farm economy stats, check out this USDA report on the increase in large family farms.

18 Likes

Not to mention the fact that most of the states passing new recreational MJ laws are specifically prohibiting inter-state sales and imports; all product must be grown in-state. Here in Mass., our recreational laws take effect in June 2018, but since growers can’t start planting for recreational purposes until then, they’re already predicting widespread shortages in the short-term. However, part of the regulations will allow large outdoor farms in addition to indoor growing.

5 Likes

My take is that Small grow ops will continue to thrive because big agra will not bother with all the boutique varieties of weed. And people are not going to want to give up having the option of, for example, varieties of pot that provide maximum pain relief with a minimal high, and so on.

5 Likes

Happened in Washington. It blows over. Demand for weed is very robust.

4 Likes

Adults, 21 and up, can cultivate up to 6 plants.

4 Likes

Yes. Oilseed hemp is already farmed outdoors mechanically. Such marijuana could be baled and used to make extracts. Both marijuana and hemp (CBD) extracts retail for more than gold and platinum. If a large company can grow organically in an ideal climate, they can make billiona with very little actual effort.

1 Like

And all that stand between the owners, operators, and staff is the good will of Jeff Sessions.

4 Likes

My rabbit would have loved some CBD oil! Her last two years involved eventually crippling arthritis. But at the time I was getting divorced and foreclosed and had no idea where to get any. It was frustrating.

4 Likes

Well, that needs defining, I guess. I could scatter a bag of seeds in my back twenty and not have to do any “cultivating” a’tall.

1 Like

Or you could just grow it in your FUCKING balcony. Free the herb!!!

1 Like

How balcony have room for both? Is swing?

3 Likes

But what’s the net profit like after costs?

It’d be fun to see some name-brands involved. I always figured that something was going on in that valley to make the Green Giant so jolly, ho ho ho.

How does this work exactly? Colorado chartered a credit union for the marijuana business, but they were unable to get a master account from the Fed.

Have the new rules for CA been published yet?

I’ve been chuckling at all the headlines today about OMG WEED IS LEGAL IN CA AS OF TODAY!! STONER PARADISE!!

Recreational marijuana has been 100% legal in Massachusetts for over a year, but since you can’t buy it in stores, selling it privately is illegal, and you can only grow plants that originated in-state, the only legal way to obtain weed is to be gifted it. Once someone gives you free weed, hey, it’s 100% legal!

Like California, its legal status doesn’t really affect things much until the guidelines for growers and retail sales take effect later this year.

3 Likes

In working order I have no idea. I asked someone at a local burger joint about how they deal with all the cash safely. She mentioned that they use in state only credit unions.

Money crossing state yadda yadda

But that is all that I know.

2 Likes

ConAgra probably ain’t gonna join a credit union. But I’m glad Washington is at least trying to help out the shops and growers who have to risk being robbery targets because everyone knows they have lots of cash on hand.