Big Weed: ten farms could supply all of America with marijuana

Part of the guidelines that Massachusetts is set to adopt this summer includes this provision for banking:

The state of Massachusetts will negotiate an agreement on behalf of licensees with state-chartered banks or credit unions to allow retailers to make cash deposits and conduct electronic transactions. The Department of Revenues will use large cash handling machines to allow retailers to deposit tax payments in cash.

Basically as long as things are legal on the state level but raid-inducingly illegal federally, it’s awkward for everyone and still involves actual bags of cash being toted around like a Scrooge McDuck cartoon, but at least the state is going to do the literal heavy lifting.

5 Likes

Perhaps not in the sort term, but in the long term is pretty clear what will happen: industry consolidation will create profit consolidation, and the rich will get richer (with a few being newly minted rich).

This has happened in every industry I can think of, so I can’t imagine why it wouldn’t happen in the cannabis industry. It’s structural in capitalism.

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this! It will be really interesting to see how it plays out.

The underdiscussed limiting factor here is the lack of mechanization for cropping, trimming, and processing. The specialized equipment that exists for many other crops just didn’t work for weed. Opportunity?

That’s what makes farming so much fun! (Spoiler: no, it’s not ; -) Here’s the one constant in ag: taxes on the farmer feeds us all. (Thx to Ry Cooder for reviving that song!) About 30 years ago I met a 40-something wheat farmer from Montana; he had 3 square miles under cultivation, about 1800 acres. He said that if he could just get three bumper crops in a row he’d be able to retire. Then he laughed and said he’d never known anyone who had done better than two. For these folks it’s a real grind – equipment is insanely expensive, rains are fickle, and land rental is a killer (renting 50%-75% of the land you cultivate for wheat or corn is not uncommon; often the rent exceeds the crop return).

(BTW, U.S. wheat is tanking, thanks to the fall of Soviet communism; the Russians – and former satellites – are finally producing close to their potential. Expect much more consolidation here in the next decade.)

My propagation friends have very low inputs – no tractors, expensive equipment, etc., just a couple of trucks; two wells; nat gas and poly to keep the greenhouses churning; four or five workers; stock; loans and taxes on the land. IF they don’t guess wrong on what species to start in spring (and if nature cooperates), net income is maybe $50,000. That’s maybe one year in three. (This year a brutal wind storm trashed all the greenhouses and starts; power was out for eight days. They maybe broke even this year, which means they start 2018 with the bank as a partner.)

OTOH, this area is replete with blueberry growers, who are in a solid marketplace. These are usually multi-generation family farms that actually own their land; the typical “big” blueberry operator owns a “section” of land (one square mile, 640 acres) with half (or less) of that in production. Almost all of them do more than berries – 40 or 80 acres in feed corn or soy, some beef or hogs, truck-garden veggies, etc. Barring disastrous late freezes, they might net $150K per section…but it’s a lot of work (trimming, new starts, laying down irrigation, weeding) and expensive (worker housing, as structures or vouchers; cultivating equip; irrigation; processing/packing structures and equip). The cash flow loans are never-ending…

Almost every farmer I know has “other work.” Landscaping, factory job, house cleaning, mechanic, goats (for yarn and scrub control), you-name-it.

That’s the other thing that kills farmers – the market (and the marketplace). The DelMontes and Birdseyes own/contract so much acreage to avoid the volatility of the futures markets; fewer farmers go broke, but none get rich (and at the cost of their independence). Small farmers who sell mostly local are reasonably safe from the futures traders, but for large crop operations, Chicago is every bit the (potential) bitch that weather can be.

Boingers in Michigan (and certain parts of WI, IL, IN, OH, KY) will recognize the Meijer brand. For decades, Meijer has been farmer-friendly, sourcing as much produce as they can from local farmers. From what I hear – don’t know anyone who supplies them – the contracts are mostly fair and profitable.

(Inside Farming tidbit: the past decade+ has seen shocked – shocked, I say! – writers decrying Monsanto for its GMO seed sales prices & policies. (And, in many ways, rightly so.) But it’s absolutely nothing new…try being an apple grower. There’s been a growing hit in the apple world lately, the Wintercrisp (Wintercrunch in Europe); over the next three years, expect this late-season apple to explode in North America. Why? Because U of Minn’s patent has expired, and they no longer control all the trees from top to bottom.

The next big apple could well be the early-season Zestar®. This is another UoMinn tree. If you want the product you must sign an agreement controlling how many trees you start with, how much land they occupy, how many you’ll buy in the future, all sorts of conditions (these are typically 15-year deals, IIRC). You buy your starts from licensed nurseries. You are closely surveilled for performance. And if you mess up… Anyway, UoMinn’s role in the apples you eat is fascinating and well worth a little googling.)

TL;DR:

4 Likes

That’s very cool to know. Meijer has been my family’s preferred grocery store for many years and I’d hoped they were farmer-friendly, especially being so deep in farm country.

That’s the main reason Meijer kicks WalMart’s ass in food sales, in markets where they directly compete. Another reason to support Meijer: the employees union is A-OK, and the health benefits have been excellent for the last 30 years.

2 Likes

I’m not so worried about the supply side concerns. I’m more focused on not destroying peoples lives for an act of mala prohibita. I’m interested in not shooting children because someone in the house might have sold a joint. I’m interested in ending the insanity of prohibition.
What I’m not worried about is providing market protection to small operations, whether or not small growers will be able to compete, or any concerns about large grow operations.

2 Likes

If enough money is involved, criminalising poor people and shooting children can still easily happen, I’m sure.

As can supposedly trivial “acts of male prohibita.” :roll_eyes:

This is absolutely fascinating. Thanks for all the input.

FTR, AFAIK, in the early 20th century, in the old German Reich, “modern” fruit farming was introduced. Farmers weren’t allowed to plant anything (for sale, AFAIK exempt local farmers market) than six varieties of apples, and six of pears. This aimed to increase productivity (and did so, again AFAIK). It became clear that six was an arbitrary and stupidly low number, but I can’t remember when this was broadened again. I was told during a lecture that during that period, while orchards were uprooted to plant the new, productive varieties, but also several farmers staunchly opposed the regulation. Similar processes happened with other crops, and long story short we ended up with plant breeders’ rights, first made into law in 1929 during the Weimar republic.

I can make some (crappy) craft beer in a barrel in my garage and not get arrested. The legalities around weed are much more byzantine and politically fraught.

Hobbyists are not exactly encouraged and if you want to go legit, get ready to pony up some serious cash (literally, cash because the bank is afraid of you).

I don’t currently see a lot of similarities between craft beer and craft weed, sadly.

1 Like

Your craft beer in your garage you can’t sell either with out lots of hoops to jump through. Though I agree that making alcohol is a lot easier than growing weed legally.

But my point is, for the small mom and pops that do want to make “craft bud”, and the fact that the weed culture is so into the diversity of types, and its roots into counter culture, I don’t see why it wouldn’t survive just fine even if the current smaller growers eventually merge into larger and larger companies. Consolidation as the industry legitimizes will be part of the natural evolution, and it will drive prices down as cost per yield is decreased.

But, no, I don’t see it killing smaller growers. The concern about banking etc the larger growers all have to deal with too, though eventually that too won’t be an issue for big or small growers.

1 Like

So, well, get ready for DEA raids.

1 Like

What happened to States Rights? (Oh right, that only applies to Neo-Crow laws.)

I’m honestly fascinated to see how this plays out. This is a textbook States Rights issue, and with some of the biggest states in the union having legalized pot, any moves by the DEA to enforce federal drug laws are sure to be challenged; I’m sure this will head to the Supreme Court.

Heh. In a confrontation between weed growers and the DEA, if they called state troopers for backup, which side would they be on?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.