Bikini model photographed by a chimpanzee in a kimono, 1963

[Permalink]

Someone’s been tinkering with the infinite improbability drive again.

5 Likes

That’s not a Chimpanzee, it’s Hugh Hefner!

8 Likes

It doesn’t get more sexist than this. Oh, those were the good old days Republicans look back to so fondly. A very sad commentary on what a woman with low self esteem thought she had to do to make it, or whatever.

I see this article is tagged with “monkeys”. Chimps don’t like that, nor do orangutans. Read Discworld to find out why.

3 Likes

Chimp + Camera + Kimono = ???
As an American of Japanese descent–and being old enough to have been around that “block”–I find the image offensive. Patently racist. A lot of history went behind the idea for that picture. Oh, but someone certainly found it cute and/or funny. Hey, George Takei! You wanna grab your foil and take a stab at this? I know you know what I’m talking about. I can use your rapier wit about now.

Grump…grump…grump…

2 Likes

[quote=“rattypilgrim, post:4, topic:11583”]
It doesn’t get more sexist than this.
[/quote] You should get out more.

4 Likes

Everyone in that photo is making monkeys out of themselves.

Even the chimpanzee.

1 Like

At first glance, it looks like Frank Cho. But, if you look closer, you will notice the girl is entirely too skinny. She is not up to Frank’s exacting standards. Must be somebody else.

Apparently we get out to different places.

2 Likes

I believe that’s a Mini-Hefner. Mini-me? No? no?

Well have a shmoke und a pancake. You know, a flapjack und a shigarette? No? Shigar und a waffle? No? Pipe und a crepe? No? Bong und a blintz? No? Well, then there ish no pleashing you.

Man, I miss the 60’s. Not that I remember them.

3 Likes

I was thinking the magazine stand at the drug store.

Less jokingly, other than the year it was taken, the link offers exactly zero context for the photo. Without that, you have no idea if it’s sexist. For all you know, the woman in the photo is the photographer who trained the chimp. The implication that being photographed in a bikini can only result form low self-esteem makes a big assumption. Self-esteem ≠ modesty.

2 Likes

That’s two models.

Brilliant social critique of the state of model photography at the time. I wonder what today’s species would be. Perhaps a snake…

Can we at least include the shot from the Chimps perspective? Go ahead an call me sexist!

Primitive up-skirt photo technology

Exactly what I came here for.

Sterling-Cooper Christmas party?

Seriously? Two grown women in bikinis sit for a photo shoot by a monkey? You’re missing the fact that a human (and going out on a limb here, but it was probably a man) photographed the encounter like a voyeur. Neither you nor I know the back story but my gut feeling is it was taken in some seedy backstage venue…a slice of life that doesn’t bode well for the women in the photo. But that’s just me.

1 Like