Bill and Ted's excellent adventures are worth re-watching

I’ll put what I read from that into my own terms, so as not to speak for someone else.

In the old days, when computers were more limited, game graphics tended to be relatively simple, clear, bright colors (a playful toy-like feel). When graphics capabilities improved, many trended to complex, blurry, dull colors (with fog and particle overlays! more realistic!). This was really noticeable in wargames (a genre I liked). It took some of the fun and playfulness out, and made some of the sequels rather blah, even if they had improved the UI etc.

Superheros used to be mostly brightly-colored and optimistic. There were some that were darker (Vigilante and ROM Spaceknight come to mind) and that fit their storylines. Suddenly there was a trend where all the old optimistic ones had to be remade as dark and gritty. Sure that makes for more interesting storyline complications, but sometimes you want fun and optimistic, and those should have been left that way. It would be better to use the darker heroes for those stories or make up new dark heroes.

The trend of ripping a series out of its genre and completely subverting all of the stylistic decisions (to appeal to current trends) is as irritating as a movie/TV adaptation that is completely unfaithful to the book. Where it does make sense, and would be more welcome, is in cases where the original source was dark and grim but the original TV/movie adaptation sugarcoated it to fit the times (such as fairy tales, or the Oz books). In those cases, a remake that brings it closer to the dark source is reasonable.

But Bill & Ted was not dark and gritty, it was bright and fun and goofy. A sequel could be as well. But the fear that they might spoil it to appeal to a modern audience is reasonable. There’s certainly been precedent in all media as trends change during the lifetime of a series. I for one hope they do get it right, reality’s dark enough now, we need more silly optimistic media, and this could really hit the spot if they don’t spoil it.

1 Like

i try not to say “so-crates” in front of people who would never have seen this movie, but the habit is too ingrained, and the movie’s getting older, and more people have not seen it…

sort of like like saying “all our hard work aint been in vain for nothing” and forgetting the the number of people who haven’t seen “singing in the rain” is similarly growing.

my useless forelimbs are showing again… :t_rex:

7 Likes

So does Ash vs Evil Dead! There is hope.

1 Like

San Dimas High School football rocks!!!

(:grinning: sorry, had to)

2 Likes

BOGUS

If you and others you’re not speaking for were paying attention to the project, you would realize how absurd it would be for anyone but you to talk yourself off that ledge of concern

Be incorrect, if it suits you. But be excellent to each other. And if going on about your fear, without informing yourself, is excellent to others, then we disagree. I find that bogus.

I encourage you to go read some interviews and such. Lots of first hand accounts abound. They contradict your certainty, but that’s how reality works sometimes.

I could explain if further, to you, but I couldn’t understand it for you.

2 Likes

Russ Ballard was someone whose songwriting success punched above his name recognition weight class.

I remember Raging Waters. I was a tween when it first opened, and I remember many warm summer evenings heading out there from a town to the west with my family for the half rate evening admission. Halcyon days for me, as a strange, weird, pudgy kid living in the caricature of Southern California.

I saw the first film in college and felt the same way – it ain’t quite San Dimas but yay they mentioned my favorite water park.

1 Like

Sort of—the park in the movie was called “Waterloo” so they could make that Napoleon joke.

4 Likes

It’s something funny and light-hearted and hopeful.

Of course it attracts the haterade brigade.

No parade they can’t have a go at raining on!

Dude, if you’re sayin’ it won’t go down that way, that makes me happy. The only interview I saw just said they’d be older so they’d have to be all mature and responsible, which might’ve led me down a bogus path.

Party on, dude.

I am well known to pop off a movie quote for just about any occasion but I admit many of my references are getting stale for the younger generation.

Gems such as “seven years of college down the drain!” Or “Give the governor a harrumph” just get polite grins now.

Sure thing De Nomolos.

Given how Keanu acts in real life (he embodies “be excellent to each other”) may I suggest that Bill and Ted was perhaps his attempt to spread that with everyone, after trying as a composer, musician and actor? It makes sense - the 1980’s would have seemed to provide a suitable world-wide reach with mass media and it was before the cynicism of the 90s set in. Seeing that fail could be linked directly to him trying to get us to WAKE UP at the end of the 90’s…

If only we’d listened :frowning:

5 Likes

Ah, maybe he was in Riverside then but lived elsewhere as a kid. It was a while ago :slight_smile:

Can we cast him for a reboot of the Highlander franchise? Or should we stick to the “There can be only one” rule?

For no good reason, even among my GenX cohort, this particular quote is somehow obscure enough that it has to be explained. Yet, it is such the perfect exclamation for when there is, indeed, strange things afoot at the Circkle K. ::sigh::

1 Like

And I think the actual filming took place at that place down on the 605 or the one off the 91 on the way to Disneyland.

Didn’t watch. Have a friend quoting random bits of the dubbed version at me from time to time. Don’t think I would really enjoy without being exposed to it directly when I was young(er). Would think it needs “was young once” factor, like many a fandom.

But then, what do I know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.