Bill O'Reilly sums up American history perfectly in two tweets, doesn't realize it

When a conservative runs face first into the wall of the actual point, but somehow manages to paint a tunnel on it and keep going into the vanishing point they’d prefer.

5 Likes

I haven’t seen this kind of accidental awareness since Rush Limbaugh’s epiphany that “…the left will promote and understand and tolerate anything as long as there is one element. Do you know what it is? Consent.”

10 Likes

Yeah, that was an afterthought for me. Dropping the curtain is the wrong metaphor for the job.

Curtains conceal. Oppression was not concealed during slavery. Now it has to hide behind bullshit excuses. If anything it raised the curtain.

7 Likes

His point is four million people who woke up free men, women, and children on June 20th 1865, with not a penny in their pocket, no home of their own, no education, and little job opportunity, in a land that still treated them as less then human and tried actively to stop them from getting any of those things should’ve just picked themselves up by their “personal responsibility” (for slavery?) and gotten on with it.

23 Likes

But remember, according to Republicans, it’s a fact that the Founding Fathers “worked tirelessly until slavery was no more in the United States.” So this is pretty consistent.

8 Likes

I think the appropriate quote, here, is “We didn’t land on Plymouth Rock. Plymouth Rock landed on us.”

9 Likes

18 Likes

6: Killing limitless numbers of non-Americans is a good and proper thing to do if it advances American interests.

14 Likes

Yup. Foreigners’ lives are valuless compared with the infinite value of an American’s. Unless that american is a soldier. Then their life is cheap again.

6 Likes

Never thought I’d find myself agreeing with Bill O’Reilly. I guess there’s a first for everything.

5 Likes

slave states only wanted to quantify slaves in order to guarantee that the slave-owning land-owning white people could have more votes in congress. NOT bc they thought the slaves were human. They wanted them counted as census, not treated as people. The non slave states were saying ‘you can’t count them, bc you say they are property, not people.’

6 Likes

Even a stopped clock… but even more so, it shows that the specific contents of an argument or thought or idea doesn’t matter to much of the right as much as who is saying it and the framing. He’s quite right in general, but says these are the ideas of “The Radical Left” which automatically invalidates it all in the eyes of his followers.

3 Likes

Also Bill O’Reilly deserves a lions share of the blame for our current Fox media environment. But on the other hand he has at least make an attempt to think about issues. I reccomend he go a bit farther. And maybe also make an attempt to rectify the massive damage to media and democracy he was part of throughout the late 90s and 2000s.

3 Likes

Painful Truth just sitting around in the back of your dark soul, not showing itself?

“FUCK IT, WE’LL DO IT LIVE!!!”

5 Likes

Personal responsibility goes in, personal responsibility goes out.

4 Likes

Tweaked your #6 a little bit.

4 Likes

I’m aware of their inconsistent view on history.

2 Likes

Oh, I thought he was telling his twitter followers of rich white people to forget personal responsibility.

:thinking:

O’Reilly plagiarized this, right?

2 Likes

Probably lol. “When you’re famous, they let you get away with it”.

1 Like